1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

In the Abyss

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 1speechpick, Jun 28, 2023.

1. 1speechpick

1speechpick New Member

I'm reaching out for tidbits, pointers, opinions, etc. I'm currently in what Dr. Hanscom refers to as ...the Abyss.....the deep dark endless pit. I have NO doubt that I have TMS. I'm on day 3 of journaling and my TMS symptoms are much worse. I realize things aren't likely to change overnight, but how do you make slow and steady gains without going backwards? Any tidbits are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I feel you!
    After a year of working on tms stuff, doing the SEP, I’m back here.
    All you can do is keep going.
    I just watched Dr. Hanscom talk about journalling on a video. (SIRPA posted it today on their fb page).
    You just keep doing it. It is often suggested to do something like a loving kindness meditation after. It helps create a sense of safety. Your nervous system can freak out when you start changing the way your brain has dealt with stress, it has often been reported it can get worse before it gets better.

Hang in there and don’t forget to thank yourself for doing this and congratulate yourself every day for sticking with it.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

100% everything that @Cactusflower says, @1speechpick!

An increase in symptoms (also new ones, a return of old ones, sometimes increased anxiety or even depression) is proof that this is your TMS brain desperately fighting back against your desire to acknowledge emotions openly instead of repressing them. This means you are accomplishing something! Give yourself a little breather if you need it, with some self-care, compassion, and love. This might even look like a day off, while you use the time instead to read or listen to the wonderful and powerful Claire Weekes, practice a self-compassion exercise, or learn about therapeutic breathing techniques. These are all good practices to adopt during this work in any case.

When you're ready to resume the work, take a moment to assure your brain that doing this is perfectly safe, that even though you feel scared by it, there is no physical danger involved (your primitive brain doesn't actually know the difference!) Take a deep calming breath, and keep going!