1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting podcast about contagious TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tunza, Aug 26, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Tunza

Tunza New Member

Has anyone else listened to this podcast? I thought it was a very respectful exploration of TMS in the context of people getting symptoms from others around them. It pays to listen right through all the episodes before judging what you think of it. The term they use is "conversion disorder" which is of course, just one term for mindbody symptoms.
    https://wondery.com/shows/hysterical/

TG957 likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting find, @Tunza! (& nice to see you again). I remember reading about the school incident years ago, in an article which was certainly talking about the psychological component.

Anyway, this is a 7-episode limited series and episodes are only 30-40 minutes. I really like this description (my emphasis).

From Wondery and Pineapple Street Studios, this 7-part series forces us to grapple with the mysteries of our own minds, and reckon with a contagion that we thought was long dead, but may be the defining disorder of our time.
    I'm intrigued! I just listened to the trailer on Amazon Music and since Amazon constantly turns Autoplay back on (grrr) I'm now listening to the first episode. I'm using Amz because I seem to recall that it might carry Wondery pods ad-free - I'll find out!

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Conversion disorder was popularized by Freud whose method of psychoanalysis gave Dr. Sarno the idea of psychosomatic chronic pain.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2024
    Ellen and Sita like this.
  4. Sita

Sita Well known member

Yes, it's not a novel concept.

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

It's also known as Functional Disorder and Functional Neurological Disorder, over here in the UK. And, in days gone by, it was called 'hysteria'.

TG957 likes this.
  6. L2wahl

L2wahl Newcomer

I "caught" carpal tunnel back when that was a thing. That was a good example of the phenomena because suddenly bunches of folks "had" it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Apparently it is now "a thing" on TikTok: Tourette Syndrome epidemic, mostly teenage girls.

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Sarno said that ulcers were the "popular" stress symptom before back pain, which reminded me that I had dated a guy with an ulcer when I was in graduate school - this was the late 70s and we were in our twenties. Fun guy, but also what we called, back then, neurotic.

TG957 likes this.