1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Irritable bowel sy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bwestern, May 29, 2024.

1. bwestern

bwestern New Member

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I managed to overcome severe chronic back pain that I had for years by following the guidance of Dr Sarno and Alan Gordon.

However, more recently I am experiencing rather severe symptoms of IBS - I am wondering if this is a new disguise of TMS for me.

I am experiencing lots of gas and flatulence which smells really badly, chronic bloating, and frequent loose and fatty stools - could this all be TMS? I am extremely stressed with my job currently and have been for over a year.

Of course I know that I should visit a doctor to rule out any physiological causes, which I am in the process of doing, but I'm just wondering if smelly gas and malabsorption of nutrients could be symptoms of TMS.

Thank you

2. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

i call it EBS
    Emotional Bowel Syndrome

JanAtheCPA and Cactusflower like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

IBS is a very common TMS symptom. It's good to rule out medical causes as you're doing, but you can start working on it as TMS now. You overcame TMS symptoms before so you can do it again.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. bwestern

bwestern New Member

Thanks guys

Can TMS cause excessive gas and flatulence? I know it can cause stomach pain, but is TMS actually capable of causing the production of excessive gas?

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Every single physiological process and sensation in all bodies are controlled by the brain. This is neuroscientific fact. Therefore, you might as well just assume that any symptom can be the result of the TMS brain mechanism, because the brain is in charge. From the most benign symptom of blushing, to the extreme disabling symptoms of fibro, CFS, CRPS, and many others including all of the variations of digestive disorders, it all comes from the brain EVEN IF there is a pathological condition which must be treated.

So there's no need to overthink it, just proceed with TMS practice while you get checked out. People don't realize that TMS skills can be used to help mitigate symptoms even while being treated for illness or injury. There's a whole body of medical practice that recognizes this fact; for example, mindfulness has been offered as a complementary practice in cancer treatment for a couple of decades at least. So you have nothing to lose in either scenario.

Ellen likes this.
  6. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

The gas is part of so called IBS. 40 years ago I was treated for chronic IBS with hypnotherapy. I then trained myself and it also worked. It's what was then called psychosomatic. Stress flares it and thr gas is just a symptom of it. Not TMS the "cause"

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. NickBacarella

NickBacarella Newcomer

In my experience, TMS can cause... literally anything. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (and an annoying GI tract in general) was definitely a part of my story. All went away once I was able to deal with the fear associated with my symptoms.

Moral of the story: if you think it's TMS... it probably is! Then you can get on with correcting it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

My ibs was fixed with hypnotherapy in 1987