1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Keep calm and carry on in the midst of pandemic

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TG957, Mar 20, 2020.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

We, residents of Western countries, are used to the life of comfort and plenty. We are used to the endless supply of food, gadgets and fun. We are used to having mature and mostly efficient healthcare systems available to us all the time. This is about to change, literally overnight.

But I also know that people get used to a lot of things. It is only during trying times we learn our true selfs and what we are capable of as human beings.

I know that I am prone to anxiety and insomnia, and both are in full swing right now. In these times of crisis, I find great comfort in reading war-time stories of stoicism, courage and resolve. Our British friends here on the forum (hi, @plum!) can be very proud of the phrase that was coined by their ancestors 80 years ago: Keep calm and carry on. It was our American president Roosevelt who said: The only thing to fear is the fear itself. I also find comfort in doing something useful. My anxiety literally went down when I brought my elderly neighbor groceries from the store. I feel much better when I can reassure somebody else that we will be OK. I feel much better after I donated money to the local musicians union doing fundraiser as they all lost their income abruptly, at once.

Find the ways to be useful and keep calm and carry on!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Aimee88, plum, JanAtheCPA and 2 others like this.
  2. Sita

Sita Well known member

You are so right. I'm An American now but I was born and raised in a former Communist country, in Eastern Europe. I've seen a lot in my life, I've seen evil things and wonderful thing happening. Without keeping calm it's impossible to carry on. All the best!

plum and TG957 like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@TG957, that's the second time today I've come across someone thinking about WWII - reflecting on the hardships and anxiety endured by our parents' generation during those years - it's an apt comparison and one well worth contemplating.

plum and TG957 like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oooh - here's the third, from Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan: "We are facing one of the most transformative and consequential events that our region and our country will experience since World War II."

plum likes this.