1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for advice on shaking off other people doubting you

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tag24, Jun 12, 2024.

Tags:
  1. tag24

tag24 Peer Supporter

Hi all.
    Sorry to post such a specific topic, but couldn't find a ton when I searched... probably just typing in the wrong keywords!

Just experienced, for my first time really, somebody in an FB "neural retraining" group (PPD, TMS adjacent) quite doggedly telling me that "there's no way your problems will be healed by mindbody methods", and it's really shaken up a lot of fear and doubt. It's especially hard because I've yet to see much shift in my symptoms via TMS work, so hearing someone tell me that directly feels like a slap to the face.

Any advice on shaking this off and refocusing on the hope I can recover? :oops:

Booble likes this.
  2. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

The old Sarno 20/20 video is what makes me able to shrug off other people. If they want to jump through all kinds of hoops one after another and not believe that TMS is possible that's their problem, not mine. Their loss.

3. tag24

tag24 Peer Supporter

Agreed. I think this was specifically someone who felt "no, this works for some stuff, but not THAT..." kind of. I feel a little embarrassed I'm having trouble shaking it off because the person's a stranger and I have no reason to trust their judgment, but it's quite rattled me.

4. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

Which gives you a perfect topic to "journal" (write shit down) about!

Seriously, who cares. You don't have to persuade them (though you can if you want to) and who cares if they don't believe. There are hundreds of success stories for you to focus on instead. Don't let the TMS part of your brain that wants to protect you from reaching the hidden emotions use this as an excuse to stop you. Because that is what will happen. It's a clever little buggah to try and talk you out of looking inward.

Diana-M, HealingMe and tag24 like this.
  5. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

People troll sites to be cruel and to play on people's vulnerabilities. I think @Booble is absolutely right on. Don't let one person who you've never met and never will meet tell you what and how to think.

tag24 likes this.
  6. tag24

tag24 Peer Supporter

I took your suggestion and journalled a little on this (and broadly about doubts) this morning, thank you.

Booble likes this.
  7. rand

rand Peer Supporter

on what authority is this person telling you this? the experts on this condition don't even understand its pathogenesis, yet this guy does?

tag24 likes this.
  8. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

It’s easy to get discouraged and doubt when you haven’t made a lot of progress yet. That’s where I am too. But if you read the success stories. Every single one has a turning point where the healing comes
    For some it takes longer than others. That’s what keep me going. If I don’t quit, my turning point will come.

I also like to ponder all the anomalies in my entire experience that point to how this isn’t a medical condition. Make a list of weird things that only make sense if you had TMS. If you think about it long enough, there are a lot of them.

ValkyrKai and tag24 like this.