1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for feedback as I navigate this

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jokeysmurf, Jul 21, 2023.

1. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

Hi, I'm back hoping for some feedback. I got bronchitis 12 days ago, typical symptoms as you can imagine. Somewhere along the recovery process I'm feeling a bit suspicious that TMS might be happening.

First I'll say during the whole process it triggered some hypochondriassis, I did pretty well meditating and trying not to buy into catastrophic thoughts that I couldn't breathe. I did go to the doc since I wanted to be cleared since my cough was nasty and I couldn't sleep at night due to coughing fits. She listened to my lungs and said they were clear and prescribed an inhaler.

This is where I could use some feedback. I suspect the inhaler is becoming a crutch or something as though I can't go on with my day without using it. There are fear thoughts and sensations. The funny thing about TMS is you can feel all the symptoms listed if you actually had the real issue. I did feel tightness in my chest on an off, I felt some dizziness and fatigue- but I felt this before also way back before this chest cold. Where do I draw the line you know?

What I am doing: I challenge my thoughts and symptoms and let them exist and continue on my day. I try and engage myself into something deeply so to redirect my mind away from my body. It feels too body focused. If I get really engaged in something then I'll check and see if the symptoms went away.

I only use the inhaler in the morning upon waking. However I honestly don't know if I even need it anymore. However I am having trouble letting it go. This is the old hypochondria I think.

Anyway feedback welcome.

Oh fears: that I may have gotten pneumonia, that I am making my situation worse trying to do light exercise. Fears are strengthened during the discomfort and symptoms (which could be TMS because they're inconsistent). I catch myself holding my breathe many times also- I think this is making me feel light headed and might be causing the dizziness.

Thanks guys I just need to bounce some logic off someone to feel my head is on straight.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Jokeysmurf:
    Whatever is going on with you is clearly giving you anxiety.
    Whatever you do for your tms, whatever calms you, refocuses your mind, allows you to explore and more importantly feel your emotions, do it.
    Whenever you feel you are in this state, it’s a signal of stress.
    I believe you will be fine. It might take some time and extra care for yourself but you will be just fine. Dr. Says lungs are all good, let your mind know it.

jokeysmurf likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think this is the right approach. Just give it time. I wouldn't worry about the inhaler.

jokeysmurf likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

What's in the inhaler?
    A lot of those are stimulant drugs that tend to Heighten Anxiety... they don't build up too much in your system like say, taking a pill BUT they do give one a 'rush' of stimulant that has a beneficial effect of vasoconstriction/opening airways BUT also can trigger other stuff. I get bronchitis periodically but I only use that guy for the worst congestion because I am already a little 'wound'. I think I still have an inhaler from 10 years ago (they last forever)

jokeysmurf likes this.
  5. jokeysmurf

It's Albuterol and the first time it dis give me a rush which was a surprise. Thanks for the response. I was definitely having some serious TMS response around the whole thing. I'm on day 14 now and I finally feel clarity with my chest and cough and coincidentally with my emotions around it. It's a tricky thing to navigate because of my history with hypochondriassis and TMS. It's really hard to believe what is happening and also "listen to your body" as they say.

6. jokeysmurf

Yes I was feeling very anxious. I still decided to walk every day. In the beginning it definitely ramped up my symptoms and it felt worse but they settled. Funny enough as my symptoms eased I spent an entire day with reflux, Gerd type symptoms and chest pain which became pelvic pain. So once I stopped caring around my chest pain and cough low and behold symptom imperative. Quite amazing how fast TMS picks righ up where I left it, which I felt was years behind me but I think this is a good learning experience about myself and how to suss out fear driven symptoms. Tricky for me at times thanks for the response.