1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

More Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marcoinpain, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Marcoinpain

Marcoinpain New Member

Why does it seem I get more pain when I'm on the tms site trying to get help?

DrArqile likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, marcoinpain. I guess it's a common feeling because your mind is focused on your pain.
    Steve Ozanich says try not to think about it. Go about your normal life and activities and
    try to bring joy into your life.

We need to spend time discovering our repressed emotions, and it's good to spend some time
    on the TMS site, but don't overdo either. Be good to yourself and have some fun.

Marcoinpain likes this.
  3. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi Marco,

Walt definitely has the right idea. Part of what is so tricky about TMS is that putting focus and energy into overcoming it can actually reinforce the symptoms! While this can ostensibly be very frustrating, understanding this dynamic is an important part of getting better. The good news here is that you are directly experiencing a rise in symptoms as a response to a trigger. This is very good evidence that you do in fact have TMS. Otherwise, why would a structural problem become worse when you read about getting rid of pain? Remembering this fact, that your symptoms are directly tied to your mental state, can be a source of empowerment as you attempt to dismiss the importance of the pain.

This dismissal of the pain is the exact opposite of what happens when you experience symptoms associated with reading and engaging with the wiki and the forum. I love the forum and wiki and I think they help a great number of people but for some individuals these sites can help to reinforce the anxiety and obsessiveness that comes with TMS symptoms. If you spend all your time reading and thinking about TMS you are reinforcing it by playing into it's purpose: distraction and the creation of anxious feelings and thoughts. You are attaching a huge amount of importance and power to the pain instead of reminding yourself that it is not something you need to fear or pander to.

In addition, reading about all the successes and suggestions on this site could be giving you the opportunity to put more pressure on yourself. You may be thinking that if all the people on here are able to see such successes, there must be something wrong with you because you can't do it. Again, this is reinforcing the symptoms by playing into their purpose. As long as you use your level of pain as a measure of your own personal success and sense of self-worth, you will continue to doubt and criticize yourself. TMS symptoms don't respond well to pressure, the voice in your head saying "I'd better improve or I'm really no good". Instead, it is about re framing your perspective on yourself, fostering a sense of sympathy and compassion. Try not to let the information on these sites intimidate you. With practice and diligence you too can improve and begin treating yourself with more kindness and care.