1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve hypersensitivity = TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by daisychain, Aug 26, 2024.

1. daisychain

daisychain New Member

I just started seeing a pelvic floor physiotherapist who assessed me and found both muscle tension and several areas in the vagina that were painful to touch - she was able to make the pain disappear with applying pressure externally at the same time as internally and explained that the nerves are hypersensitive after the infection I had for 3 months (uti) which has caused lingering pain and symptoms. Is this another way of saying TMS? It sounds like it's the nervous system being on high alert/sensitized due to the continuing perception of danger by the brain. Probably also explains the muscle tension! Thoughts?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, could be. There could also be some inflammation in the area, which is nothing but a stress hormone reaction. However, constantly questioning how and why around the physical doesn’t solve the problem, and it distracts us from our regular everyday thoughts and emotions.
    It might be best to do the TMS work and not interact too much with your pt about the physical.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle