Hi all,
I just heard of TMS maybe about two weeks ago. I remember hearing Howard Stern, talking about Dr. Sarno and how he really helped out when he had bad back pain problems.
I’ve had some degree back pain for the last 20 years or so even though I’m only 45 yrs old now. It started off as chronic middle back pain that seem to get worse when I did a lot of activities such as fishing, which require you to spend a lot of time sort of hunched over. That back pain mostly went away once I lost about 25 pounds. ( I wasn’t incredibly heavy to begin with, but that weight loss did coincide with the middle back pain going away).
After that, I noticed a couple of minor episodes of Lower back pain. Wood put me out for a day or two, but not a big deal. The big situation came about seven years ago when I was hauling a lot of firewood around. I got another one of those twinges of lower back pain. Decided at that moment to ignore it, and then proceeded to pick up a very large piece of wood. That resulted in severe back spasms, which had me on the ground literally screaming. Since that time, I’ve “thrown my back out “probably too maybe three times per year. That and I’ve noticed a significant reduction in my physical abilities because of my back pain . The pain is quite variable and almost always gets worse with increased activities, like lifting or yardwork. It’s gotten to a point where I would figure I’m able to do about 10 to 15% of what I used to do prior to seven years ago. It’s been a real ordeal to say the least.
I’ve been to PT a few times next to no positive result. I’ve seen my general doctor, a physiatrist and an Orthopedic surgeon whom have told me that I don’t require any type of surgery. I had an MRI done, which was essentially clean. Very minor issues noted. I’ve seen a chiropractor, which I now view to be A total scam. Went to see this person for like three months 2 to 3 times a week and it literally did absolutely nothing, in spite of the fact that I was doing the physical exercises that he also recommended.
One thing that has been noted several times that my hamstrings are extremely tight and probably always have been. Even though I played sports as a young person, I’ve always been very inflexible. While I’m guessing that this may play a role, I really do have a hard time thinking that tight hamstrings have caused what could be thought of as a minor disability to myself at this point because of the back issues.
Sorry to ramble a little bit here, but I really have been excited to discover Dr. Sarno’s work. I’ve listened to the books on tape for healing back pain and the mind body connection. I’ve noticed that overall, my general pain level has gone down slightly just doing normal things like going to work and walking my dogs in the woods. I’m still noticing that I’m back feels worse after doing more physical things like processing firewood or other types of yardwork that are a bit demanding.
Can you let me know what your thoughts are on if what I’m describing sounds like TMS? Also, what do you figure the role of my tight hamstrings might be? I’m actually wondering, perhaps if TMS may cause the muscle tightness that I’ve experienced throughout my life. The TMS “diagnosis“ Really resonated with me because I’ve been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder since I was a teenager. I’ve also known myself to have a personality that Focused on being “ a good person” I am perfectionistic to some degree.
Thank you all in advance for taking a look at my information and let me know what you think, I appreciate it!
I just heard of TMS maybe about two weeks ago. I remember hearing Howard Stern, talking about Dr. Sarno and how he really helped out when he had bad back pain problems.
I’ve had some degree back pain for the last 20 years or so even though I’m only 45 yrs old now. It started off as chronic middle back pain that seem to get worse when I did a lot of activities such as fishing, which require you to spend a lot of time sort of hunched over. That back pain mostly went away once I lost about 25 pounds. ( I wasn’t incredibly heavy to begin with, but that weight loss did coincide with the middle back pain going away).
After that, I noticed a couple of minor episodes of Lower back pain. Wood put me out for a day or two, but not a big deal. The big situation came about seven years ago when I was hauling a lot of firewood around. I got another one of those twinges of lower back pain. Decided at that moment to ignore it, and then proceeded to pick up a very large piece of wood. That resulted in severe back spasms, which had me on the ground literally screaming. Since that time, I’ve “thrown my back out “probably too maybe three times per year. That and I’ve noticed a significant reduction in my physical abilities because of my back pain . The pain is quite variable and almost always gets worse with increased activities, like lifting or yardwork. It’s gotten to a point where I would figure I’m able to do about 10 to 15% of what I used to do prior to seven years ago. It’s been a real ordeal to say the least.
I’ve been to PT a few times next to no positive result. I’ve seen my general doctor, a physiatrist and an Orthopedic surgeon whom have told me that I don’t require any type of surgery. I had an MRI done, which was essentially clean. Very minor issues noted. I’ve seen a chiropractor, which I now view to be A total scam. Went to see this person for like three months 2 to 3 times a week and it literally did absolutely nothing, in spite of the fact that I was doing the physical exercises that he also recommended.
One thing that has been noted several times that my hamstrings are extremely tight and probably always have been. Even though I played sports as a young person, I’ve always been very inflexible. While I’m guessing that this may play a role, I really do have a hard time thinking that tight hamstrings have caused what could be thought of as a minor disability to myself at this point because of the back issues.
Sorry to ramble a little bit here, but I really have been excited to discover Dr. Sarno’s work. I’ve listened to the books on tape for healing back pain and the mind body connection. I’ve noticed that overall, my general pain level has gone down slightly just doing normal things like going to work and walking my dogs in the woods. I’m still noticing that I’m back feels worse after doing more physical things like processing firewood or other types of yardwork that are a bit demanding.
Can you let me know what your thoughts are on if what I’m describing sounds like TMS? Also, what do you figure the role of my tight hamstrings might be? I’m actually wondering, perhaps if TMS may cause the muscle tightness that I’ve experienced throughout my life. The TMS “diagnosis“ Really resonated with me because I’ve been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder since I was a teenager. I’ve also known myself to have a personality that Focused on being “ a good person” I am perfectionistic to some degree.
Thank you all in advance for taking a look at my information and let me know what you think, I appreciate it!
Last edited: