1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Other tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by KEANU4141, Dec 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

What are your guys' best tips for getting rid of all your symptoms. Specifically tips on how to access the repressed emotions and like breaking OCD habits and other anxiety disorders, ect

2. KeepGoing

KeepGoing Newcomer

interested

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

My suggestion is to read a book by Dr. Sarno and do the work he outlines.
    Educate yourself on the science behind how the brain truly creates pain. Remind yourself of this new information frequently.
    Learn Dr. Sarno’s 12 reminders, use them
    Follow a program ( this site has two free programs, do one and do it slowly, a little each day) from start to finish and then continue to use the skills you used through your life.
    OCD if diagnosed as OCD may need specific OCD treatment. If it is just repeat intrusive thoughts, Dr. Hanscom is pioneering work in this as related to TMS. His website and blog could be helpful, a book is forthcoming.
    TMS is a form of anxiety. You will never be 100% free from anxiety because it is part of the natural mind/body connection. My tip is to stop fearing it. Stop fearing the physical sensation of anxiety by slowly learning to mentally stop pushing it away.. this is the same process as learning to feel all your emotions from anger to joy. When you feel anxious, quickly drop into your body and sense any sensations: temp changes, tingling, buzzing, fluttering in hands, feet, head, torso and then simply let them “float by like clouds in the sky” because it is SAFE to feel these. I label it as “anxiety” but do so without a judgement. Do not get into a story about it but move on with your day. This is how to learn to sense all emotions. Know the sensations might be very subtle, and that they pass within 90 seconds. Claire Weeks books clearly outline this and other skills. I recommend you read one of her books.
    You must actively engage in learning TMS skills to learn what works for you.
    You need to begin to look at your mindset and actively work towards seeing yourself in a “real” way by accepting your true nature (the programs help with this especially SEP) and continue working on this after the program: learn to see yourself in a more positive way, to note small accomplishments, to tame your inner critic.
    It sounds like a lot, it is, it can be done over time.
    Note that “get rid of all your symptoms” is actually a highly pressured and perfectionistic statement: the type that created the symptoms in the first place. It is judgemental and harsh, to yourself. A much more realistic and kind (and real) hope is “How do I learn to manage my symptoms so that I can live an abundant and full life”. The reality is that we all get anxious, fearful, repress, have pain, hardship, joys etc. You learn to respond to these things in a way that lessens the need for things to become chronic, but they will never become magically absent in your life.
    We were meant to feel the breadth and depth of all of life.

4. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

Why would you say "manage symptoms," what do you mean by that, do you mean manage my anxiety so I don't have symptoms ( widespread muscle tension and pain, neurological issues, pelvic pain, cold hands and feet, faster heart rate and more) ? I'm 17 years old and I really have taken a lot of pressure off but saying "managing symptom's" scares me so please clarify.

5. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@KEANU4141
    You must remember that this is a mind/body connection and it is a normal function of living beings. We have it, animals have it... you will ALWAYS have a connection between your mind and body. Sometimes you will hurt: emotionally and physically - but it doesn't have to be chronic. That is what I mean by manage.
    You know when you get, say, a hangnail - it's not TMS.
    But what about if you had a sudden knee pain? Would you automatically thing OH MY GOD I'LL BE IN PAIN FOREVER WITH THIS KNEE? Sometimes, yes, our brain goes right there. Learning to manage your reaction - to "woah! lookit that" and then moving on with your day and not giving it another thought is what will eventually give your brain the message that not every sensation is a big deal. You will learn to manage where your brain goes. Sometimes we get tripped up and need reminding about it - but you will learn it's nothing to be afraid of! It just means you have some unnoticed stressor in your life. Same with anxiety. You'll begin to see it for what it is much of time by simply feeling and recognizing the sensations of anxiety in your body and know it for what it is ... that there is nothing to fear about anxiety, just like there is nothing to fear about TMS pain. It's simply a message that you need to take care of your internal self.
    However, you aren't there yet and you don't need to worry about any of that. It will come. Just take things day by day now. Don't worry about the future, (worry is anxiety). You sort of have to keep going along, and eventually this stuff will come to you. It's amazing that the mind will begin to forget how much panic and worry you are in now.
    You are doing well to say you are beginning to take the pressure off - you need to take it off in many areas of your life, not just these physical symptoms (anxiety is a tms symptom, it's part of the stress).
    Take your time to heal, and keep taking that pressure off of yourself.