1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pain when lying in bed

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lori10, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Lori10

Lori10 New Member

I seem to have more pain at night when I go to bed and generally when I am tired.
    Does, anyone else experience this. I am trying to up my affirmations during bedtime. Any other advice?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Lori10, and the answer is yes, if you're busy during the day with people and activities, nighttime is when your TMS brain mechanism goes "Uh-oh, she's in a quiet place and she might think about things we don't want to look at, better give her some symptoms to worry about instead."

Hopefully you're also "doing the work" to address your repressed emotions so your brain will learn to live with them.

In the meantime, affirmations are great if they are truthful and constructive on your journey towards self acceptance (fake happy-face positivity is to be avoided, so watch out for that).

In the long run, some form of consistent meditative practice is the best way to find peace for your brain. In the short term, my go-to advice is deep therapeutic breathing, which can be done for a few seconds or minutes at a time, anytime of the day or night. I find it incredibly powerful for calming down in the moment, but also for significantly reducing some of my daily stress symptoms.

Just look up "therapeutic breathing vagus nerve" to find different techniques and choose a resource that works for you.

The more you practice it whenever you think about it, the more often you'll find yourself doing it automatically. I also do it first thing in the morning before getting out of bed and the last thing at night as I'm closing my eyes

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    FredAmir likes this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Jan gives you some great ideas here.

I would add to that progressive muscle relaxation when you go to bed. It can help you relax your mind and body as you go to sleep. You can also do it during the day.