1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Pelvic pain gone, but new symptoms? Anyone experience this before?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by balancedanswers, Jun 8, 2024.

1. balancedanswers

balancedanswers Peer Supporter

So, I went through every single success story posted here (https://www.reddit.com/r/PelvicFloor/comments/185m1w2/every_success_story_in_this_group_summarized/) and I noticed a pattern that applied to my situation - in every situation where physical therapy, internal PT work and other physical methods didn't work, the success stories are of people who went into TMS (Tension myositis syndrome ) / PPD (Psychophysiological disorders).

After my last round of MRIs and blood tests, and a very nice man on YouTube who replied to my messages who recovered from Pelvic Pain, it made me switch to 100% psychological. The guy I spoke to gave me a great insight - he told me to stop using the internal pelvic wand and trigger point work bc it's reinforcing the brain connection. He also said in his interview "the pain felt so real.... so real"

Anyway, I made a decision to focus on the brain, and I started reading books like The hidden psychology of pain and other similar title and after 1-2 weeks, I noticed my pelvic pain was almost gone. The Tinnitus I developed 6 months into the 3 year journey of pelvic pain has reduced by 40-50%

This made me feel I'm on the right path.

Recently, I had some weird chest pains, and a sore throat that didn't go away. It reactivated some of my old thinking patterns - of disease, death, cancer, etc. and I got paranoid again. But the pelvic pain did not come back. My question is, how do I know if the new chest pain is also a manifestation of TMS? I don't want to go back to the hospital doctor routine of getting X rays of the best, ultrasounds etc. but I'm also scared if I don't something serious might be going on.

The pain in the chest moves around from the center bottom of the rib cage to the left and to the right. It makes no sense, and logically I can't explain it. The pain feels nerve/muscle based on more on the surface, though I'm not 100% sure

Wondering if anyone else has this experience thanks

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Symptoms moving around is very common.
    You have either not dealt with issues or you have fallen back into thought patterns, let personality traits take over etc...your old defenses have returned to keep you safe.

You need to deal with your fear. Dr. Sarno suggest getting checked out. So you'll be afraid. Why are you afraid of being afraid?
    Are you afraid of the sensations of anxiety?
    Are you afraid of thoughts of mortality, dying etc.... you are going to need to make peace with this. This is at least some of the cruix of your TMS issues.
    The truth is, you are human. You are going to suffer pain, disease, and you will die.
    BUT (one of the only times I use the but!) you are alive and well NOW.

One last point. Why did you choose to "focus on the brain" when Dr. Sarno clearly suggests to focus on the PSYCHOLOGICAL. Focusing on the brain is only one part of TMS healing, the other part is our psychology and it is in fact, the main part of TMS wellness. To keep the brain sensing it is safe, and to keep the nervous system easily flowing between its states, you need to deal with your anxiety, psychological state and how your personality traits interact with your way of thinking and emotional feeling. You also need to learn to deal with the internal stressors that your thought patterns create - your triggers. Sure you may have spikes in your symptoms and anxiety but learning how to deal with your thoughts and allow yourself to feel emotions will quickly quell those symptoms and give you peace of mind.

Dr. Sarno: The Divided Mind
    Claire Weekes: Hope and Help for your Nerves (anxiety - totally in line with TMS wellness)
    The free Structured Educational Program (the SEP) free on this website - this will guide you through a lot of the work outlined in the above two books. It's not a short cut to not reading the books, it's the work you do after reading them.

You are probably 60% of the way there ... you just need to branch out and learn a few more skills to deal with things you haven't yet dealt with. Our TMS minds have a way of continually protecting us from doing the "meat and potatoes" of the work (or in my case, the tofu and potatoes :)...as one of my mentors said: "it is simply the peeling of the onion." We're human and have many layers. The work NEVER stops, these are the skills for life and need to be employed daily.

3. balancedanswers

balancedanswers Peer Supporter

thanks! at what point do you decide to get checked out, if the pain persists?

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

That is up to your own personal discretion.