1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 Progress so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PhillipAndr, May 9, 2024.

1. PhillipAndr

PhillipAndr Peer Supporter

When I started the program, within a few days I said to myself that I would be recovered in 3 weeks - at the back of reading some inspiring success stories.

It's interesting because, over these past 3 weeks, my definition of recovery has fundamentally changed. REcovery for me does not mean anymore being pain/symptoms free, rather, it means not allowing myself to be impacted by my emotions or symptoms. Recovery for me now means being ok regardless of the symptoms I experience, the pain I feel or the emotions visiting my body. So, in that sense, I feel like I've made lots of progress. I'm also coming to the realisation that there is not really a finish line with all of this, but it's rather a new mindset that I'm acquiring which has unlimited layers to explore. I can certainly become better day by day, but it's not the goal anymore to recover, but rather to learn how to respond better each day. This new way of seeing progress is phenomenal because it takes the pressure out of me to get somewhere (outcome independence), so based on this new way of thinking I can say that I am recovered!

My symptoms are still around, and my emotions still sabotage me, but every day I can see myself becoming more skilled at handling all of this, and that's what recovery looks like for me now. I am gradually increasing the activities that I am doing successfully. Additionally, knowing now that emotions are responsible for my symptoms, I'm also deliberately exposing myself to situations that will trigger me emotionally so that I can practice new ways of responding. I think that's essential to make progress. So far, it's going great! Every day I feel more and more confident about my abilities to handle emotional reactions - something that's giving me a lot of freedom to just be and do whatever I like!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

^ THIS is freedom! ^

well done!

BloodMoon and Diana-M like this.
  3. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

This is fantastic! Good for you!

4. redgandalf

redgandalf Newcomer

That's a valuable insight, I'm happy for you!

5. ahri11

ahri11 New Member

Awesome! I can so relate :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Recovery and success! dancea

7. HealingMe

HealingMe Well known member

Yes to this! tiphata I also realized losing the fear and living my life regardless was my definition of success! Lose the fear and your symptoms lose their power.

Diana-M and JanAtheCPA like this.
  8. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Yes! So true!