1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Prostatitis update

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by last337, Jan 23, 2024.

1. last337

last337 New Member

Just an update on my TMS journey with urinary/prostate issues. I was doing quite well after my initial TMS work in the fall. I had minimal issues and was improving. That lasted through the holidays but following the new year things got bad again. It started with some work stress coupled with the expectations of the new year along with some other stressors. I tried to get on my bicycle to go ride (first time in a year since issues started) and immediately felt some discomfort. I though to myself 'well that makes sense' but then my mind got stuck on that and now about 3 weeks later I am still dealing with some lingering issues. Not nearly as bad pain as my last onset but mainly some urinary issues. My mind is now stuck on the possibility of prostate cancer again and wondering if I should get a PSA test. Although getting a PSA test with inflammation will likely show elevated levels and exacerbate the issue.
    My question is this, is it possible that the physical pain associated with bicycling triggered the whole thing as I was under the impression TMS is mainly in the mind. Thinking back I know there was a lot in my mind at the time but no symptoms until I got on bicycle. Now that I am a few weeks down the road I am re-reading Dr Sarno's book and trying to think psychologically about it. I do have some big upcoming events that I am sure will take my mind off of it and I am sure that after those events I will have another example of how it is TMS but that does not seem to be the best approach. Any recommendations on things to do in the meantime rather than just wait for another distraction?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

It's much more likely that you're overthinking the process. The process going on inside the TMS brain mechanism is unknowable because it's different for each person and it's different this week than it was last week than it was last month than it was a year ago.

Everything and anything is possible, so it's really not necessary to spend a bunch of time and emotional energy on all of the possibilities. This is good news!

The thing about our brains on TMS is that they will continue to provide symptoms as distractions because that's what the mechanism was designed to do in order to assure our survival in the primitive world. It simply doesn't work for s*** in the modern world! Our job in doing this work is to manage that mechanism for today's stressors - it's a lifelong process which gets easier with practice and patience.

Exercise is good for us and it can help block our negative inner chatter. A useful skill is to practice constructive or positive self-talk to replace the chatter. Visualizing the positive benefits of your exercise and rejecting the pain as being unnecessary is an example of self-talk that replaces the negative fearful chatter that your TMS brain would like you to engage in.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

4. ARCUser831

ARCUser831 Well known member

I have issues with urinary frequency and pelvic pain, so some similarities to your symptoms. Like yours, mine come on in flares, and tend to worsen during or after periods where I've particularly feared something I'm doing will trigger them ... self-fulfilling cycle and all that.

I also find that when I'm busy or distracted by something in my life, the symptoms almost entirely subside. I find myself wanting to get out, to be busy, anything but sit and drive myself crazy with the symptoms and the fear they provoke.

That said, over the last few months, I've realized that sitting with myself and not fearing that is exactly what I need to be doing. I'm trying to meditate multiple times a week. And even when I'm not meditating but just trying to relax or even sit and work (when it tends to be worst for me), I do my best to not let it overtake my mind and ruin my mood -- even if the pain is there, I can have a good day (outcome independence). Don't ignore it necessarily, acknowledge it, accept it, and then divert your attention. Do not feed it.

For a while I was doing trigger point therapy, and stretching. When I dropped all of that, and stopped allowing myself to shift when sitting to avoid the pain, or stopped avoiding certain exercises or activities, I noticed a bigger jump in my progress. I was letting go of the physical crutches I'd developed that were keeping my mind believing that there is a physical component. I guess all of this is to say, your flare makes sense, but I think the best thing you can do is continue to operate regardless of that pain.

BagelSchnitzel and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. last337

last337 New Member

Thank you both for your replies. I have started to go through the pain recovery program and it has been very helpful so far.

ArcUser-your response was very similar to my experience. I feel the same way about wanting to stay busy as a distraction and also feel that pushing through the pain, not adjusting for it, and sitting with it has been helpful.

Funny enough, I spend a lot of time in the gym and run at least 2 miles a day plus an hour of weight lifting. I may feel a bit of discomfort when I start running but after a half mile it is mostly gone. Getting up and down from different equipment lifting heavy weight rarely bothers me. Maybe when I start a leg workout but that subsides quickly as well. I can do all of this for 1 1/2 hours and the discomfort fades to a minimal amount that I stop paying attention. Then when I sit back in my car to leave or at my work chair I feel it again. I guess that is proof enough that it is TMS. Now if I can just convince myself...

BagelSchnitzel and JanAtheCPA like this.