1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

protection and/or distraction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, May 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. mbo

mbo Well known member

Convincing someone that their pain is the result of a brain-protective strategy from some "dangers" may not be difficult.
    Another very different thing, by far, is to make understand that the pain could be due to a brain-distractive strategy from "negative", unbearable, buried, unfelt emotions !!!
    Opinions welcome.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@mbo
    Yes, this is true .
    I think that is the difference between brain/body connection and mind/body connection, and a reflection of the stigma of “ you are saying this is all in my head” - meaning if there is psychological implications we have been trained to think this means we are “nuts” or “crazy” or somehow mentally defective (not in all cultures, but in many cultures without a history of mind/body connections always being part of health care. health care not meaning medicine here). I think opening to this understanding is the first step in TMS wellness, and the first step in breaking some of the bonds in tms restrictive thinking, which is such a common trait we have.

Ellen likes this.