1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Science

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Tms_joe, Jan 29, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

Have you found that science isn't really your friend on this TMS journey? It's supposed to be so precise, mathematical, exact. It is, when it's conclusively studied, leaving no doubts and acknowledging what is unknown.

Science or religion, or even a mix of both. These are what we use to describe that which is greater than us, knowing we can't possibly understand it all. We're not God the creator. Even something like gravity just exists. We have studied it, and we know quite a bit, but unfortunately most scientific institutions are failing to recognize that which is inconclusive. Theories are theories. Like opinions, taking them seriously makes you delusional.

If you want to see examples of this, watch some videos of scientists trying to explain consciousness. You'll see some honest souls admitting we know almost nothing, and that it makes our existing science seem childish. You'll also see self important, arrogant "experts" all contradicting each other and making claims of discoveries and theories that have no basis any kind of evidence at all. Hmmm.

Older people are familiar with being taught science on an absolute sense in school, only for these "facts" to be proven absolutely untrue 20 years later.

Our science has become ego-centric. Wevw forgotten how to say "I don't know," and sit comfortably in that. Much my failed approaches toward tms were in this analytical way. FAILED.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Worth repeating. Doctors need to be retrained in this. Fifty+ years ago my family doc was willing to say "I can't find anything wrong with you other than anxiety" at which point my symptoms disappeared. I had this experience for a number of years, and by the time my TMS symptoms were at a crisis point (turning 60 being the trigger) I was in the habit of not bothering with doctors for symptoms which I did not consider to be medically significant. That didn't stop me from seeking alternative solutions, mind you! Until I discovered this work and figured out the missing piece to the puzzle.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

One should look at science in a long perspective. True science never professes that it knows everything. Instead, real scientists are careful to say that what they know is based on what they know to date and as far as what they have observed or studied. Science is constantly evolving, and life sciences are not an exception. As a matter of fact, they are in a much tougher spot. When mathematician proves a theorem that was considered unprovable for 200 years, it does not have an immediate impact on people's lives. But when a biochemist or neuroscientist makes a discovery which turns biochemistry or neuroscience upside down, it may have an immediate impact on or even contradicts how healthcare systems operate.

I highly recommend the book Great Feuds in Medicine by Hal Hellmann, which describes how medical practices change based on the most recent discovery in medicine of the time.

In addition the pace of change is accelerating. If before practices were challenged maybe every century, now it could be only few years, which makes our heads spin. Meanwhile mainstream medical science cannot move fast enough to catch up with the newest discoveries.

Bottom line, science that contradicts TMS is science, too, but it is science of the 19th century. Modern neuroscience confirms TMS concepts, as a matter of fact it helps to advance TMS concepts. So it exists or it doesn't as you pointed out, but it may exist today and be dead tomorrow, being replaced by the new knowledge.

Understanding of the above truly helped me to regain my footing and faith in logical and scientific approach to facts after Dr. Sarno's book turned my view of medicine upside down. Thanks to the works of Dr. Schubiner, Dr. Moseley and others, I regained my faith in those scientists who conduct their work based on facts, logic, and their honesty and humility, which allow them to stay unbiased in their work.