1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Setback after trauma and snapping Scapula?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ComaDivine34, Nov 27, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ComaDivine34

ComaDivine34 Peer Supporter

I was doing really well pain and anxiety wise for a few months and had an accident which unfortunately has set me back. My injuries were situated near where I was having my symptoms previously. Now it becomes hard to figure out what is the injury vs TMS. I also developed scapular/neck pain during a particularly stressful time (been having increased stress the past 3-4 months since accident) when I was stretching in the morning. This was a couple months ago and it still comes and goes. The most bothersome is the feeling when moving my shoulder. My shoulder joint cracks and my scapula feels weird like its moving around. My neck also feels tense. Unfortunately I went down the Google/WebMD rabbit hole and gave myself more anxiety thinking about the damage I am doing and if I am going to hurt myself. I believe it is TMS due to the sudden onset during stress, how it gets worse during worrying or thinking about it, how I've become obsessed with it and how it comes and goes.

I am just looking for some support and encouragement. I have already re-read The Mindbody Prescription and may read it again. It has just become so hard to not think physically and think psychologically, especially when there is physical snapping in addition to the pain. I have never had that before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @ComaDivine34
    I think the thing that stands out to me most in your message is that instead of
    mentioning a relapse, you mention an injury.
    Injury is belief this is physical.
    What is this is simply a relapse?
    You do not mention pain, only fear and what sounds like a few sensations.
    TMS relapses are common. You have learned neural pathways that activate when stresses.. and sometimes you get new symptoms when you bypass old ones.. the nervous system creates new pathways.. but the genesis is always the same.
    You mention tension. The T in tms is tension.
    What are your expectations with TMS? That you will never feel the body in these areas again? That you will never have tms symptoms again? Is healing from tms to you, allowing your body to lack sensation? Not being anxious or afraid?
    Or is it your ability to handle tms if it arises again, knowing you can handle it, that you’ll be ok even if it takes some time and that you can face the internal stress and patterns which create tms?
    Relapses are the opportunity to learn, to practice TMS skills, to gain more confidence.
    ❤️

3. ComaDivine34

Thanks @Cactusflower That was a helpful response. I definitely had an injury, but not in the areas that are giving me symptoms now and that is mostly healed anyway. I think my expectation is to not have pain and sensations in the body that are chronic. And also my fear and anxiety are banished. I will say that even though the sensations are typically always there in the shoulder, the pain is intermittent. I think I will re-read The Mindbody Prescription (or maybe another TMS book) and just try my best to take my thoughts away from the body.

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@ComaDivine34
    Reading some Sarno is often helpful and comforting.
    Reading and re-reading his 12 daily points (can’t remember if they are in that book) can also be helpful.
    Your comment about a healed injury and s relapse of symptoms makes more sense. Keep confirming to yourself that it’s just your nervous system.
    What I think really happened is simply that your sense of safety was once again involved - which elevates nervous system response.
    Anxiety will never be banished. You need it, it is part of your internal safety system. Being comfortable with knowing anxiety and its physical sensations are harmless. To some extent, yes, that means just going on with daily life.. but there is an attitude that goes with this. A kindness to self without pushing or striving to be free of things we don’t want. It’s acceptance that they are present and that we are ok just as we are that creates this change. Knowing you have overcome so
    much -seeing first hand how TMS acts within you and that you could deal with it! That you had an injury and healed from the actual injury too - that is a powerful combination! I’m not sure what other tms practices you have tried, but your may need to teach your mind just how to get out of fight/flight and find a way within yourself to create a sense of safety. That goes back to meditation, breathing… some folks do yoga or qui gong/tai chi, play music, walk, run... separating yourself from anxiety, intrusive thoughts and allowing the mind to chill out. It’s a great time to explore approaches to life that you will benefit from in the long run.

ComaDivine34 likes this.
  5. ComaDivine34

@Cactusflower Since Dr. Sarno mainly talks about rage I think I've focused too much on that and unconscious emotions. I always forget that fear and anxiety can be causes of TMS and that it isn't all unconscious emotions. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me and help guide me along my journey.