1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Structural pain becoming TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by XFalken, Dec 10, 2023.

1. XFalken

XFalken New Member

Hi. I have had some problems with my my ankle since October. Started running too hard and too early after an ultramarathon race (50k) 7th of October. First I thought it was TMS since I am a believer in this. I ran for about a week with some pain. But when I noticed swelling of my ankle I pull the brakes. Been diagnosed injury to the tibialis posterior. So no I am rehabbing.
    PT:s say it takes so and so long time to heal, and I heard stories from people where they have this problem for over a year. My thinking is that the body actually is pretty good at healing. Is it possible that TMS comes along on the way somewhere? I am thinking that the injury is healed faster than we realise and that the remaining pain in fact is TMS instead? Therefore the long "healing times" of some injuries.
    Anybody in the forum know anything about this? And where I can read more about "real" injuries becoming TMS? Books, articles or anything, or from your own experience?
    Thanks
    Ragnar Falk
    Sweden

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

We can have injuries.
    TMS can “appear” to start from structural issues because the pain or symptoms will often begin in places that will get our undivided attention.
    Tendons are a common place for tms to occur because of the physical anxiety of internal stress or tension we do not recognize is happening. Tendonitis is on lists of the most common forms of TMS.
    Our perception of “real injuries” is based on that our brain tells us this “must” be structural (virtually everyone with TMS pain experiences this), and because Dr’s will try to find a diagnoses that fits the site of your pain.
    Science has taught us that pain is not generated at the site of “injury” or sensation but only in the brain.
    That said, it really doesn’t matter too much how you believe tms has begun because it is the fear and hyperfixation on the injury mixed with personality traits and how we deal with our emotions that creates and sustains our pain.
    That said, when injury does occur, we heal in about 3-4 months.. tms is chronic.
    Dr. Sarno discusses these things in his books.
    Charlie Merrill is a sports physical therapist in the US and this may help you - he talks about recovery, performance and tms.

XFalken likes this.