1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom Imperative Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ARCUser831, Dec 7, 2023.

1. ARCUser831

ARCUser831 Well known member

I have been on this journey for a few months now and am very much learning the nature of "nonlinear healing" ... some days I feel I am truly on the right track and things are looking up and other days I find myself consumed with fear and dread and wondering if it's worse than it's been in the past.

We are all familiar with the symptom imperative and know it to be a good sign - the pain is on the run. I am wondering if this group thinks that the symptom imperative can include different symptoms in the same area?

For some background, I have pelvic pain and urinary urgency. I feel as though my pain is constantly cycling through. One day I have to pee constantly, a few days later I have bad sciatica pain and tingling, then after that it is vulvodynia-like symptoms. Sometimes it's pain, sometimes it's burning, sometimes it's tingling.

I feel like, on the brightside, the erratic nature of my symptoms helps me be confident that this is indeed TMS, but this cycling of symptoms has been my norm for months and months now. Does anyone else experience this? Is this technically a symptom imperative? Is it a "good" sign?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Since all physical processes and sensations are created by our brains, not only is anything possible, but I can guarantee you that your brain will come up with a unique symptom, OR, yes, a combination of symptoms, designed to freak you out simply because it's so unique.

Breathe. Talk back. Let time pass.