1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tell me exactly what to do to heal!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cactusflower, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent interview on TMS Roundtable right now with Dr. Tovah and Lee Canter. It will be posted on the TMS Roundtable Global youtube channel in the next few days.

Lee mentions exactly what works for his healing from migraines - and even wrote a book about his own healing. It was only after publishing his own healing book he realized he can not tell anyone EXACTLY what will cure their tms. He mentions that it is always a personal experience based on all the emotional work that needs to be done. He throws healing back to the "professionals" - the coaches and those trained in mind/body healing to help people guide THEMSELVES through the process with whatever means works for them, personally.

This is an amazing reminder that trying to match symptoms, to desperately want to be told EXACTLY what to DO step by step. That getting frustrated, fearful and upset when something doesn't work for them in their own healing that it's OK - there are many other means that might work for you. That it isn't always a "one and done" process. Lee discusses his rise in anxiety after a reduction in symptoms and his need to do the emotional work, and that it has taken him much time to move through the steps to his healing over some years. That realizations come bit by bit - that's "doing the work" consistently, over a lifetime and not expecting that once your symptoms lessen or stop you are done.

Tovah "Step by step, peeling layers of the onion"

Lee discusses his responses to his current symptoms; he has CHOSEN to view his current or new symptoms in a new light.

Lee "It's an unlearning an over reaction to the pain"

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Cactusflower

Here’s the interview on youtube:

4. CaptivaLady

CaptivaLady Peer Supporter

In the lifting and bodybuilding world, we are focused on progressive overload. So, assembling the self over time by pulling different levers. There is volume of training, which can be developed using reps, time, etc. There is time under tension, which can be altered with pacing. There is increasing weight, etc. etc. You experiment with the different means of progressive overload over many months and years. It is Kaizen. It is continuous improvement. I feel like TMS operates the same way... my exact workout plan as a 40 year old, experienced female - will not work for a 23 year old male (not enough) or a mostly sedentary 74 year old female (too much). So, the approach must be tailored. The great part is that you get to be the tailor! You get to decide what to try and begin tweaking things. The possibilities are endless!

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent point! Through my recovery, trying to follow exact prescriptions from other people, I came to a firm conclusion that each person is unique and should devise their own prescription, based on the same general idea: understand how your mind works and break the cycle of pain through the mindbody approach.

This is what I tell people: be brave, try everything that looks safe, keep what works, throw away what doesn't. As an example, I often talk about my experience with journaling. In it's classic form, it absolutely did not work for me, but writing on a specific occasion, subject, or to a specific person did. This is not to discredit journaling, which worked for thousands of people, but to show the benefit of flexibility and creative approach. Use a general idea and find your own path!

Cactusflower and CaptivaLady like this.
  6. Cactusflower

@TG957
    That is exactly why I loved your book! I had tried two coaches, read advice here and nothing was working. I was getting more anxious and symptoms worse.
    Between your book and a non-tms coach (who went on to train with Dr. Schubiner to help me!!) who were willing to suggest that creativity might be the key, my anxiety is much better. I’m still struggling, but in a much better place than I was last year.
    When I need courage to face things, I read your passages about driving or hiking. When I am worried about doing things most suggest you can not do (for me it is an unusual form of pt), I read your passages about straightening your fingers or running. I have not given up on meditation but for the last several months it has been incredibly difficult. Your book taught me not to get frustrated about it, so I look at it as rest, no matter how it happens.
    I have exactly the same reaction to journaling. On rare occasions I do it, for me, other forms of therapy work better right now. I’ve also learned to be fluid, what doesn’t work now may work later.
    I appreciate your open mindedness, and willingness to go against some of the more structured grain of mind/body healing.

TG957 likes this.
  7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear @Cactusflower , I am so grateful for your words! Knowing that my story was helpful to a chronic pain sufferer makes my effort and time spent on writing and publishing it worthwhile! I would be happy to have a one-on-one conversation with you on meditation. It is not easy to find the right approach, but please do not give up! Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions. I have full faith in your eventual victory over pain!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cactusflower likes this.
  8. Cactusflower

Thank-you dear @TG957
    I will certainly reach out if I keep struggling.
    My current therapist thinks it’s because of work we are doing, which has my mind super busy again. What I can do is concentrate more easily on my hobbies right now (which I could not do a few months ago!) and walk in silence (I needed headphones and music a few months ago). I’m very hopeful meditation will return, and I can sit in silence for quite long periods like you have achieved.
    I really appreciate your kind offer!

TG957 likes this.