1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The reason our brains allow us to suffer

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Dec 6, 2023.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This quote from an article about nutrition while ill is very relevant to the big question we have in our work, which is why do our brains create what is often disabling suffering via TMS symptoms. It's all connected to the basic biological need for our bodies to simply survive, no matter how that's accomplished:

The immune system requires a lot of energy to fight infection, which is why it’s good to consume healthy food during illness. But Yale University immunobiologist Ruslan Medzhitov says our bodies are ultimately optimized not for making us feel better, but for survival—and they might not always perceive an infection as their greatest threat. “That’s what’s counterintuitive,” Medzhitov says.

2. ARCUser831

ARCUser831 Well known member

Very insightful, thanks for sharing! It is helpful to understand this, because I think for many of us fairly new to this journey, the question of how this logically or evolutionarily makes sense is part of what can breed doubt early on. But this makes perfect sense!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The way I always put this is that our bodies and our primitive brains are still designed to live very short lives in a very simple and primitive world. The only goal is to breed and reproduce as much as possible before dying a very early death. The dangers of the primitive world were very very few and very tangible and obvious. Stress isn't what killed us back then - stress kept us alive.

Today's world and lifestyle with our very long lives, our need to plan ahead (and worry) for decades of life, and an infinite number of stresses to cause existential anxiety, means that the primitive survive-at-all-costs stress mechanism works for shit in the modern world and can easily go onto uncontrolled overdrive. And it's killing us.

I've posted this link twice today - here it is again: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037 (Chronic stress puts your health at risk)

Sam222 likes this.
  4. ARCUser831

ARCUser831 Well known member

I truly appreciate your perspectives! This whole journey is a matter of how we think of things and the meaning we give them, and all of this is so helpful in that. I'm going to read through the link you provided. Thanks @JanAtheCPA!

5. Smokey73

Smokey73 Peer Supporter

This is so helpful. It helps to explain why my mind puts me thru such suffering. It is good to have a cause that makes sense. Thanks.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

FYI, there is a branch of the field of psychology called Evolutionary Psychology that studies and attempts to explain all this stuff.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this.