1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS healing inventory: How to measure your progress without using pain as an indicator

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Diana-M, Jul 3, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Feel like you’re getting nowhere? Me too, sometimes. That’s because we focus only on pain as an indicator.

So, I made this inventory list to help us realize we are making progress, even when we think we aren’t.

Here goes:

What new things have I tackled emotionally since I began my TMS healing journey?

What new habits have I adopted?

What new disciplines have I implemented?

What have I learned about my body?

What have I learned about triggers?

What have I learned about soothing myself?

What have I begun to find peace with that perhaps can’t be changed in my life? How?

What traits have I recognized are causing my TMS? What steps have I taken to change my ways regarding these traits?

What circumstances/people have I eliminatefrom my life as a result of learning about TMS and my healing needs?

What ways have I enjoyed living without judging the outcome related to pain?

What have I recognized that I need to change in my attitude to be able to enjoy the present?

What are some of the best things I have learned through TMS resource materials?

What TMS healing techniques have I tried?

What techniques have I adopted for the long term?

What books and/or people have I discovered who have great insights for me into my healing journey?

If I had to admit it, what positive things have come to my life because I have (or have had) TMS?

How has my TMS healing journey positively impacted my relationships?

How has my TMS healing journey positively impacted my spiritual/philosophical life?

(Please share some answers! It might help all of us feel better. ):)

suchi, HealingMe, ValkyrKai and 3 others like this.
  2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Brilliant list - such a good idea!
    Some of the important things i have learned:
    To make boundaries - and sometimes even to stick to them!
    To say no to things that I do not want to do.
    To not feel guilt when I put myself first. (mostly!)
    To ensure I spend most of my time in and around nature - and appreciate the peace and sense of belonging that gives me.
    To believe in myself and recognise my goodness. I do not have to prove anything!

ValkyrKai, JanAtheCPA, Ellen and 2 others like this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@hecate105 my list is much like yours! Except for the nature part. However I try to recognize the nature around me every day.

Diana-M likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@hecate105 my list is much like yours! Except for the nature part. However I try to recognize the nature around me every day.

Great idea @Diana-M I have a slightly similar list in for my own TMS journaling prompts.

Diana-M likes this.
  5. Diana-M

Glad you liked the list, even though it’s pretty long! It made me realize the phenomenal growth I’ve made and am making as a person. This is something! I like your answers @hecate105 — mine are much the same.

Ellen likes this.
  6. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree - a brilliant list, @Diana-M!

Some of the important things for me that I've done or learned:

I've learned that I'm an introvert in a world of mainly extroverts and that's difficult... and one of the reasons my brain started TMSing was because I was forcing myself to do things that I didn't want to do, that didn't suit my likes, dislikes and temperament.

I've made a habit of doing some exercise/movement every day within my capabilities - I started doing this when I was bed bound, when I could only move my feet in circles and wave my arms and hands about a bit. I believe that doing that told my brain that I wasn't going to let it rule the roost.

I've learned that no matter the chaos that may be happening around me and to me, I can always find some peace by focusing on my breath - 'breath pleasure' as the Buddhist monk and author Shinzen Young calls it... i.e. with the out-breath I notice and enjoy the relaxing of my chest muscles, and with the in-breath I notice and feel the relief and pleasure of the fresh air filling up my lungs (delaying slightly after an out-breath before breathing in makes the pleasure more felt when I take an in-breath... I usually do the latter once or twice at the beginning of a session of 'breath pleasure').

I've learned that it's important to talk to myself nicely and to give myself encouragement - there are already plenty of people in this world who are willing to do the opposite of this, so I don't need to help them!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
  7. Diana-M

I love these, @BloodMoon! I would love to learn more about the breath pleasure. It sounds like a wonderful thing. I love how you always seem to make the most of life, no matter what’s happening. I would like to copy that!

BloodMoon likes this.
  8. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Diana-M,

This webpage describes Shinzen Young's 'breath pleasure' meditation in better detail https://daronlarson.com/blog/breath-pleasure (Breath Pleasure — Daron Larson, Mindfulness Coach). It gives a link to Shinzen's 'Natural Pain Relief' book which it says has the 'breath pleasure' meditation in it. I can't vouch for that though as I don't have that particular book -- instead I've got the CD version of one of his other audio books, which has 4 meditations on it to include 'breath pleasure' which you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Relief-Shinzen-Young-audiobook/dp/B00PUW7BSW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=EZPBWKV7L76&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.odZF7PREVn1GOjb_OQluHM0x3i1spwXMqacT4r_Rxk22GztXVKpyFT0SPh2-CmMa.9fXoyae8Ho5U1wdxNaSNhSTZkJeg0T5NysTCwUFFi54&dib_tag=se&keywords=sounds+true+pain+relief+shinzen+young&qid=1720341371&s=audible&sprefix=sounds+true+pain+relief+shinzen+young,audible,139&sr=1-1

A caveat: some people don't like Shinzen's voice and to be honest I'd prefer it if it were more soothing, but imo it's nevertheless a kind and reassuring voice, which to me is fine. So, anyway, I'd recommend having a listen to an audio sample on Amazon to see whether or not you find his voice to be okay, that is, if you might be considering getting a copy of one of his audio books.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Diana-M likes this.
  9. Diana-M

Thank you!

BloodMoon likes this.
  10. ValkyrKai

ValkyrKai Peer Supporter

I love this so much.

Diana-M and BloodMoon like this.
  11. ValkyrKai

ValkyrKai Peer Supporter

@Diana-M i think you’re one of the most insightful people I’ve ever met. This list is so good and it’s so good to have other indicators of progress that aren’t related to our symptoms; especially considering how difficult it can be to ignore/not focus on them.

I’ve learned quite a bit since I started my TMS journey even though I’m new. Im still in the process of learning what works for me and what doesn’t but I’ve definitely learned quite a bit:

I’ve learned that I don’t have to be perfect all the time or at all.

I’ve learned that I’m going to fail. A lot. And I’ve learned how that’s actually a really great thing. A blessing in disguise.

I’m currently learning how to be kinder to myself and give myself grace.

And I’ve learned that I don’t need to pressure myself to do anything any type of way.

thank you for making this post!!

Diana-M, BloodMoon and JanAtheCPA like this.
  12. HealingMe

HealingMe Well known member

Bookmarked! Thanks for this!

Diana-M likes this.
  13. Diana-M

Eli, that’s fantastic! You’re learning a lot! I’m trying to focus all on the positive. Because it IS hard to not focus on the body. But when I do focus on all the massive improvements I’ve made internally, it’s amazing! We are becoming amazing! :D I’m so glad you like the list.
    So glad I could help!

HealingMe likes this.
  14. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Diana-M recently linked this thread of hers in another post and I just have to bump it because it's so good.