1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Urinary Urgency.. how to recover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ziggy888, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Ziggy888

Ziggy888 Newcomer

Hello all.

Basically to keep a long story short, I have been dealing with TMS in my pelvic floor for almost 2 years (been to many doctors and I know it’s just TMS). I have had many other TMS symptoms including back pain, constipation, eczema, arm pain, etc that I was pretty much able to rid myself of using the TMS approach so I am a 100% believer and know that this is what I’m dealing with.. I fit the TMS personality to a T.

However, the urinary urgency/frequency is one thing that I am having serious trouble overcoming and could use some guidance. I think my main issue lies with being unsure how to react to the feeling of urinary urgency. Often times, when I do give into the symptom and urinate, I barely even pee much at all so it seems my body’s signals are off and I didn’t actually need to urinate. Basically, when the symptom arises I’m unsure whether it’s okay to urinate as it gives me quick temporarily relief until the symptom comes back (usually not too long after) or if I should just ignore it and not go to the bathroom. This is kind of problematic though because it turns into a situation of me not knowing when I truly have to urinate and it generates a lot of fear in me. This is especially hard to deal with when I’m trying to sleep at night. So what I usually do is give into the symptom and go but I’m wondering if this is what’s hindering my progress? Or is giving into the symptom and urinating fine (I mean I’ll truly have to pee eventually anyway) and it’s just my overall fear that should be dialed back for a full recovery?

To those who take the time to respond, thank you so much in advance :)

Angel8 likes this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey @Ziggy888
    You sound like you’ve been doing a great job.. and I think this will pass.
    Frequency is usually an anxiety symptom. I think the desire to “fight” this symptom -thinking you should not “give in” fuels this fire.
    Were you able to accept the other symptoms, and recognize they are temporary?
    Have you explored feeling emotions in the body and seeing that many are often centrally felt, or do you have a hard time feeling them because of tension in the area? This is something I personally recognize - so I’ve leaned into the subtlety of sensing the emotion.
    Feeling, but not getting stuck in the frustration, anger, resentment, striving etc around the urgency is important. Can you just pee when you need to. No strings attached. No headspace, no negative self talk, no timetable, no worry, no pressure. Nothing. This is simply a sensation that will pass.
    Keep up with your tms work, and give yourself time. It’s just a symptom.

JanAtheCPA and westb like this.
  3. Ziggy888

Ziggy888 Newcomer

@Cactusflower Thank you for responding! It means a lot. I was able to accept the other symptoms, and while I still feel a twinge from time to time they do not consume me at all and go away very quickly if they do return. I think these symptoms I was able to accept because they did not involve a separate action like urinating and they were less complex. I feel like I didn’t really have much to fight with those once I understood TMS. Just with the urgency I would find myself obsessing over when to use the bathroom. I will definitely listen to your advice of just going when I think I need to and I will do so without judgement. Your answer makes a lot more sense to me then what I previously thought which was to ignore the urge if I had just went, because I see how that is me fighting it in a way.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

urinary urgency has also been a TMS symptom that has been the hardest for me to kick. and i have kicked out so many classic TMS symptoms over the years. last year i developed insane urinary urgency and upset bladder symptoms and it took 5 months to fade away. then two weeks ago it came back and I know it’s TMS, etc… but i have not been able to kick it. good luck and know you’re not the only one!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. lauryfriese

lauryfriese Newcomer

I'm not a doctor, but I can offer some general suggestions for dealing with urinary urgency/frequency related to TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome). It's important to keep in mind that these suggestions may not apply to everyone, and it's always best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice. Here are a few strategies you could consider:
    1. Education and reassurance: Continue educating yourself about TMS and the mind-body connection. Understanding that TMS symptoms are not due to structural or physical abnormalities can help alleviate fear and anxiety.
    2. Mindfulness and relaxation techniques: Practice mindfulness meditation or relaxation exercises to help reduce overall anxiety and stress levels. These techniques can help you better manage the fear and uncertainty associated with urinary urgency.
    3. Gradual exposure: Consider gradually exposing yourself to situations that trigger urinary urgency. Start with small steps, such as delaying bathroom visits for a short period when you experience the urge to urinate. Over time, you can gradually increase the duration before responding to the urge.
    4. Experiment with response: Instead of automatically giving in to the urge to urinate, you can experiment with different responses. For example, you might try distracting yourself, engaging in an enjoyable activity, or using relaxation techniques when the urge arises. This can help you break the cycle of immediately responding to the sensation.
    5. Bladder retraining: Working with a healthcare professional, you could explore bladder retraining techniques. This involves gradually extending the time between bathroom visits to retrain your bladder's response to urinary urgency.
    6. Seek support: Consider joining a support group or seeking therapy from a mental health professional experienced in mind-body approaches. They can provide guidance, support, and additional strategies tailored to your specific situation.

6. fridaynotes

these are all great ideas and resources. as a long term TMS warrior it’s good to be reminded of these things. lately bladder urgency and feeling of a full bladder (when it isn’t) has been a persistent TMS symptom that has come, gone and come now once again. it’s frustrating, but i realize it’s part of my journey.

7. Usman1515

Usman1515 New Member

Hi bro, i have same issue...how i deal with urge?

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I recommend that you read all of the responses on the two threads where you are asking about this - they give good advice. Educate yourself abuot the TMS mechanism (read a book by Dr. John Sarno, MD - probably The MindBodyPrescription) and also go to the Success Stories subforum and read those threads. If you do a keyword search you can limit the search results to that subforum (be sure to select the results tab for "our forum only").

After this initial educational step, start working on the free Structured Educational Program on the main tmswiki.org site. No signup needed, just do the work.

9. JCRules

JCRules New Member

Hi Zig,

I know EXACTLY what you are going through! I have had TMS for almost 4 years and it manifested in my pelvic floor as well. The main symptom is urinary frequency, but I have had all of the other symptoms associated with "CPPS/IC/painful bladder syndrome" and whatever other medical labels fit the diagnosis. I do believe that mine had a structural origin, because it happened suddenly following some intense and prolonged exercise without any recovery. The urinary frequency is really what sent me down in a depressive spiral because it is very difficult to cope with having this intense need to urinate 24/7. I went through the unfortunately gaunlet of seeing a Urologist and all of the examinations and medications (antibiotics, antidepressants, alpha blockers). I also tried all of the supplements (Quercitin, Saw Palmetto, Bee Pollen, etc.). Modifying diet also had no effect on my symptoms. Nothing taken orally worked for me. I also went through psychological therapy (CBT abd ACT), but these didn't help me overcome the pain. Acupuncture and Chiropractics also didn't help me. Out of desperation I spoke with Dr. Wise and took PT. The PT and practicing mindfulness actually had a postive effect on my recovery because I improved using these self-treatment strategies, but my recovery flatlined and I was flaring up constantly. After 3 years of stretching daily and practicing mindfulness, I was stuck at being about 75% of who I was. So I searched the web and was blessed with finding Sarno's work. I read his books and learned about TMS. It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. After I learned about TMS, I gave up self-treatment strategies and focus on retraining my conscious mind. That despite the symptoms, I knew that the origin of the pain is always fear (anxiety and stress). Training my conscious mind would eventually convince the subconsious that I am safe. I am also learning to that it is completely find to feel my emotions, especially the uncomfortable ones. It's important not to run away from them and accept them. It's like going down the dip in the roller coaster. Just accept it, and know that there is nothing wrong with your pelvis and bladder. Once the fear subsides, the pain and frequency settle down.

With regards to the struggle of having the need to pee. I know what you are talking about. What I suggest is that you first try to calm yourself down and tell yourself that there is nothing wrong with you. You know that you can recover, and you know that you have seen the worst of this pass. If the urge is still there, then go pee! And accept it and laugh at if you can. Tell your brain that you are ok. Overtime of practicing this, your brain will understand that there is no danger and the time in between flares will be longer and longer until you can consider yourself healed.

Hope this helps!

10. fridaynotes

This really hits home. Thank you. After suffering from bladder urgency and pelvic discomfort I was able to totally heal from it for about 6 months before it came back again. which is a hallmark of TMS. if it was something real and terrible then it wouldn’t go away for 6 months and then come back. But it’s the “coming back” that is really disconcerting for me. It’s not back with a vengeance, but it has definitely made itself a big distraction. Here’s the rub: I KNOW it is TMS. I KNOW what its doing. I KNOW what its about. but all that knowledge doesn’t seem to make it go away. I try meditation, yoga and calming my nervous system meditations but it persists. As a long time TMS warrior, I feel a bit discouraged. But I also know that this too shall pass~ as mysteriously as it arose!

Mike46 likes this.
  11. JCRules

JCRules New Member

I know how you feel. This stuff isn't easy and never linear. Keep on doing what you are doing and keep using your conscious mind to remind yourself exactly what you've been telling it. Also, when you are flaring up, check in with yourself with kindness and compassion. Feel that emotion of fear and don't be afraid of it. This is somatic training. The more comfortable you are with fealing the tough emotions, you are retraining the brain to feel safe. Your subconscious will eventually get the hint. I also find that when I am at my worst, I try to live my life even more. I go for long walks, exercise, have coffee with friends, go to the cafe, anything to insert to a life worth living rather than being stuck thinking about my pain.

Mike46, fridaynotes and Cactusflower like this.
  12. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Schecter on pelvic issues- this whole youtube channel is for men’s pelvic health and tms:

Drewson and fridaynotes like this.
  13. Usman1515

Usman1515 New Member

14. Drewson

Drewson Newcomer

I have had this 3 times the last 2 times I got over and led a normal life I really believe its all anxiety fueled currently got it again after getting really stressed and angry seems like it's my stress response
    I just posted my full story
    All my symptoms I think are health anxiety related
    What's most annoying is I recovered twice so why can't my brain let it go
    But there's always that what if and fear

fridaynotes likes this.
  15. fridaynotes

SAME! i have had urinary urgency and pelvic discomfort twice now. went away for like 6 months, now has come back. I KNOW it is TMS. yet it persists.

16. RustyDaddy

RustyDaddy New Member

I just wanted to add - saw in The Tapping Solution. A gentleman who came to terms with bladder urgency - and this was due to literally being trained as children to hold out bladder. Not being able to control our own bodies when we need to because a teacher in school thinks it is right to not allow someone to use their bodily functions. I forgot i used to wet myself in class and the teacher, my parents would make me feel awful. I see now - this is because i was forced, we all were forced to train our bladders instead of being able to instinctively use our bodies. If youre curious on the actual cause. Though this is an EFT method more than TMS, which does involve safe trauma replicating retriggering - similar to EMDR but mindbody informed. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE THIS IS MY EXPERIENCES.