1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What are your tips for a flare up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hey guys,

So I have a flare up of shoulder pain right as soon as a take up a new mandatory task, of course. I have been mostly pain free for 3 years!

I started going through the Mindbody Prescription again, Journaling and may do a sleep study to see if I can get stuff for my apnea (I cant sleep in my good positions while in pain).

Any tips or advice for someone who has gotten rid of many symptoms in the past? Its just been a while as I was doing so well.

I appreciate you guys!

Booble likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had many flare-ups over the years. Here is my advice:
    • Don't overreact and catastrophize. You got rid of TMS before, and you can do it again. Flare-ups are normal.
    • Think psychologically. What's going on in your life and/or psyche that is triggering the flare-up?
    • Go back to the techniques that helped you before. (Sounds like you are doing this.)
    You've got this. You've done the most important part, which is realizing it's TMS.

Dorado, Booble and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I always pick up the pen and paper. I end each writing session with at least one thing for which I am grateful, or that I appreciate about myself, no matter how small.

I suspect that apnea is a TMS condition, but it's also not one to take lightly due to the long term health effects. As you're waiting for your study, start practicing an active mindful practice every night, where you visualize sleeping with your jaw and throat relaxed and open, breathing deeply and easily. It's like a little meditation with a specific goal. You can also write down an affirmation about your sleep intentions. You might be surprised at how powerful this can be. I stopped wearing a nightguard by doing this and my dentist has had to agree that I was successful.

Booble likes this.