1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What if it's just endorphins rather than tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by learningmore, Sep 5, 2022.

1. learningmore

learningmore Peer Supporter

We've all had discomfort and then began doing something fun and forgot about it.

Could this be TMS?

Pain pain pain pain pain, good emotions, pain gone.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

If you start looking at emotions from a physiological level, they are nothing but a flush of hormones through our bloodstream. Endorphins make us feel good and distract our brains from generating pain signals. And then pain is gone.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The TMS mechanism is in play at all times, throughout our lives. So yes, if something else can act as a distraction instead of the symptom, the symptom can be dismissed for a while. This is true of most symptoms and sensations, including those caused by obvious injury or illness, barring extreme situations of course.

Our state of mind has an enormous influence on our experience of symptoms. When I crashed my bicycle and broke my hip in 2009 (age 58) my pain level was probably at a 6 or 7, but my catastrophizing level (fear of being bedridden) was at a 10, so my perception of my pain was higher. When the ER doc came in with my X-rays and announced that they could "pin" me up and have me on crutches in a couple of days I swear that my pain level immediately dropped to about a 3. When they offered pain medication, I asked for a couple of ibuprofen to take the edge off, and I was annoyed when the nurses kept asking about my pain level after the surgery, because I really didn't care. I broke my hip, then I had surgery, so yeah, it hurts. It should hurt. The key is that I had no fear of the pain, because I knew that I would recover.

Even then, three years before I discovered Dr Sarno and this work, I understood that I was the one who had control over my experience, and I recovered rapidly with that mindset. I also never filled the post-surgery Rx for opioid. I simply had faith that I had received excellent care and that I would be fine, especially if I was a good patient and followed all my instructions.

However, let's not talk about my irrational fear of dental pain.:nailbiting: Based in childhood, of course.

Anyway, when a lifetime of anxiety came to a crisis point of TMS symptoms in 2011, I know that it was my prior belief in my own ability to heal that was invaluable to my success with TMS healing.

Many people don't have that inherent belief, and they don't recognize when they are catastrophizing. Add the fact that unexplained chronic conditions don't come with concrete plans of action, and the result is folks who don't know how to recover when their TMS brain mechanism goes into overdrive.

TG957 likes this.
  4. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

The word “endorphin" is an amalgam of two words--“endogenous” and “morphine.” It is morphine that your brain produces, as distinguished from exogenous morphine that enters your body from outside by pill or injection. It is just as powerful a painkiller as exogenous morphine, but because it is natural to your body, it has no adverse side effects and you do not build up a tolerance to it. It--along with some other chemicals like serotonin, enkephalin, and dopamine--constitute what has been called “the drug cabinet in the brain.”

TG957 likes this.
  5. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

I think we are twinsies!
    I don't care about "expected" pain either. I was the same way for post-surgery. They wanted to fill my IV bag with opiods. I said, no, I don't want that. Instead they filled it with ibruprofen. I never clicked on the little thing that would give me a hit of it.

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.