1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What if you have actual damage? Please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by twocups88, Sep 8, 2024.

Tags:
  1. twocups88

twocups88 Well known member

So I am a type 2 diabetic for over seven years. For the first six years I didn’t take care of myself and ate whatever I wanted. Well over the past year a Dr. diagnosed me with POTS and dysautonomia due to my diabetes. I feel like crap. Im so upset and scared. How the hell did I do this to myself. I don’t know what to do and where to turn. Any advice please?

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I have hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos. Dysautonomia comes with the territory.

Even so, I learned during biofeedback therapy that people with confirmed neuropathy benefit from the exercises by at least 35% - and often more. The Success Stories discussion within this forum has a woman who went from disabled with hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos, MCAS, and POTS to back on top. What does that tell us?

That your body IS responding to your emotions.

Your post makes it clear that you blame yourself and carry guilt. That alone is going to increase any symptoms you’re experiencing.

My advice is to start working on compassion for yourself. TMS work can benefit you, too. Even with diabetes.

3. twocups88

thanks so much for the response. I definitely think this is anxiety realated. I fit the TMS personality type to a Tee. The thing that holds me up from progress is the thought that this is real damage and I will be on disability which scares me. Im only 35 years old. I read too many stories online about POTS and nerve damage so I am extra sensitized right now. I didn’t even know about POTS until I started reading about it. Then a month later I started getting symptoms. Before that it was gastroparesis and I had all the symptoms but now my stomach is better since I have been worrying about this.

4. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

You know what it is. Now work a program to heal. There are lots of good books and teachers to choose from. Have you read Hope and Help for Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes? I found coming on this wiki a lot and reading all the answers people are given solidified my belief that I have TMS. You can do this!

5. twocups88

thanks for the response. I know I have TmS but what also messes me up is I have Diabetes which can cause nerve damage. I don’t know how to get over this belief.

6. Diana-M

I hear ya! Why not look at it like what do you have to lose? People are healing from so many things that even TMS experts say can’t be healed. I heard this great interview of someone who healed completely from rheumatoid arthritis, which they say can’t be healed. On the other hand, I’ve heard of people with MS who vastly improved their symptoms by doing TMS work. If you have the TMS traits, I’d go for healing like it’s your full-time job. Believe you will heal! Why not?!

7. twocups88

thanks so much. My symptoms fluctuate. So I do believe its TMS. But its that other thought that hangs me up. I will get through this. Thank you

8. Diana-M

You will gain more faith as you do the work. Just plow forward. Pick something and do it. Find what resonates with you. Maybe one of the two free courses on this wiki. Go for it! I’m rooting for you. Don’t let despair suck you in. Fill your mind with hopeful thoughts and read read read about how people are doing the work and it works! I have neuropathy. It seems like a lot of TMS people get it.

the courses:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)
    https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program (Structured Educational Program)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
  9. twocups88

Thank You. I will start with these.

Diana-M likes this.
  10. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

How do you get over this?
    You practice some meditations for kindness which leads to self-forgiveness.
    Here’s a whole stream of wonderful free meditations she created: https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=kristin+neff+self+compassion+meditation

Drop the notion that you need to be perfect to lead a fulfilled and happy life. You might have some physical sensations, need to work with a health provider for diabetes but you can also drop the mental suffering and feel great.
    I still have pain and some symptoms but no longer suffer with them. On days they are worse, I give myself extra kindness. On days I feel pressure or stress: extra kindness which might be reminding myself this is temporary. Looking at my progress over time (especially mental/ emotional progress), keeping a gratitude journal, acknowledging my feelings when it’s a hard day etc.

One day at a time. Why not start with the Structured Educational Program which is a great step by step guide. Go slowly, and see where it takes you.

Diana-M likes this.