1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What is the craziest thing you’d like to do - the thing most out of your comfort zone

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cactusflower, May 27, 2024.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have a bunch of them right now:

Fly someplace far away to visit another culture - Australia, Hawaii but hang out in the more wilderness areas of that place.

Go Kayaking on the ocean

BloodMoon, Mala and Diana-M like this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

What a fun question!
    Take a train ride to the arctic circle in Norway
    Hike somewhere in England or the Scottish highlands (never been overseas)
    Play in a band (hugely daring as I’m very shy!)
    Join a Master’s swim team

Cactusflower, BloodMoon and Mala like this.
  3. Mala

Mala Well known member

I would love to go to a few countries in South America, watch an argentinian tango performance & maybe take a few lessons & also visit the galapagos islands. South America is the one continent apart from Antarctica (which I have no desire to go to) that I have not travelled to & that wld be a huge tick in the box.

Cactusflower, BloodMoon and Diana-M like this.
  4. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess not really wild or crazy, but I long to live at the coast and go for a walk along the shore every morning.

You'd probably like what we call 'fell walking' in our 'Lake District' in Cumbria, England https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/places-to-go (Places to visit and areas of the Lake District National Park). The area has lots of small mountains and hills (i.e. fells) as well as lakes and, although I do love the Scottish highlands, I think The Lake District is prettier as you can usually see the peaks whereas in Scotland a lot of the mountains are so tall that they are very often hidden from view in the clouds.

Mala, Cactusflower and Diana-M like this.
  5. Cactusflower

I’m spoilt and do this several times a week at the beach. It’s very different from being in a nature setting though!

Mala, BloodMoon and Diana-M like this.
  6. Diana-M

@BloodMoon,
    Wonderful! I will adjust my dreams to focus on the Lake District. And thank you for the link!

Yes! I so agree! Maybe one day we will get this wish.

BloodMoon likes this.
  7. Diana-M

That is so wonderful! You are blessed. Even though I live on the East Coast (Washington, DC suburbs), our local beach is 3 hours away and we go several times a year. I live for it!

BloodMoon likes this.
  8. Diana-M

This is really obscure, but I once read this book by Wilkie Collins (a novelist friend of Charles Dickens), where he chronicles a long walk he took through Cornwall in the 1800s. I was so enchanted how you can look out over the sea from way high up. And just his descriptions and the time period. I would love to hike Cornwall, if it’s still fun to do in the present time. I’m sure it is!

9. Cactusflower

That’s where half my family lives.

10. Diana-M

Ha! No kidding?! So I guess you’re familiar with the area.

11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Sing karaoke with a group of friends. So far there has not been enough alcohol in the world that I could drink to allow this to happen. beerbuds

12. Diana-M

Haha!

13. BloodMoon

Wilkie Collins, the author of 'The Woman in White'... I hadn't known he wrote a travel book.

Cornwall is a glorious county, but it gets very packed with tourists in the summertime (The Lake District gets busy too especially in areas like Windermere, where the largest lake is, but walks in the north, on the fells around Buttermere, Crummock, Loweswater and Bassenthwaite lakes are peaceful).

I like this Texan lady's YouTube channel. She's married to a Brit (who was brought up in the US). They live in England for around 5 months of the year and she's got a number of vlogs of them visiting various places in Cornwall, which I thought you might enjoy.

Diana-M likes this.
  14. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

1975 in Cornwall... eating beef and potato pasties on the train from St. Ives... walking the stone causeway to St. Michael's Mount at low tide and barely making it back in time with the tide around our ankes (it was Europe on $5 a day back then - didn't want to pay for the boat)... mesmerized by the pounding surf at Land's End... the long trek out to Tintagel and a local bus that only ran once a day but totally worth the effort. 30 years later, spending an entire day at the Lost Gardens of Heligan, B&B in a tiny house in a tiny village clinging to the side of a massive cliff, another day spent at the Eden Project (weird contrast to the peace and beauty of Heligan). Cornwall is a land of astonishing contrasts, and some of the best travel experiences in my memory. Although I agree about walking the Lake District, that's pretty magical too.

But wait - @Cactusflower asked a question! Let's see - with a nod to @Ellen, I always wanted to be in a chorus. And serious immersive French followed by a year in France. Those aren't very crazy... oh I've got one - parasailing in the Alps. Jump off the side of a mountain and free sail until you land in a beautiful valley. It looked so awesome.

BloodMoon and Diana-M like this.
  15. Diana-M

I love everyone’s dream lists! Let’s go do ‘em! Jan, Those are Amazing vignettes of Cornwall. Now I want it more than ever. @BloodMoon - thanks for the vlog! (Lucky people!)

BloodMoon and JanAtheCPA like this.
  16. Cactusflower

One of my friends lives in Cornwall, she loves her walks!

Diana-M and BloodMoon like this.
  17. BloodMoon

You've been to more places in Cornwall than I've visited @JanAtheCPA! I've only been for one holiday there, long before TMS struck. I hope that, in addition to a Cornish pasty, you may have tried some other Cornish delights -- a 'cream tea' (scones with jam and clotted cream), some Cornish Yarg (cheese), and some Stargazy (fish) pie for dinner -- it's a great place for foodies.

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  18. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Cream tea, of course! Yum! But I can't remember if I specifically had the Yarg or Stargazy - however food is definitely part of the travel experience, and pub food often the best :joyful:

BloodMoon likes this.
  19. Diana-M

You guys are killing me! I had no idea about the food! I was just going for the windswept high view of the sea and the exotic feeling.

BloodMoon likes this.