1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What is the most important thing to do on your TMS recovery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hotmilk, Mar 4, 2024.

1. hotmilk

hotmilk Newcomer

What's the most important step? There's a plethora of information out there

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Do a program. The easiest one to access for someone who would like a step-by-step guide, is our Structured Educational Program on the main TMS wiki.org site. It's free, and there's no registration or sign up needed.

When you get to the writing exercises it's important to do them with self-honesty and vulnerability. I can't remember if it's clearly stated up front, but the recommendation of the experts is that when you're writing or journaling for emotional expression, plan on throwing away what you write after you're done with it. This gives you the freedom to be honest because nobody's ever going to see it including yourself.

The only downside to the SEP is that it hasn't been updated in a while. Another volunteer and I are actually just starting the lengthy process of going through it and fixing outdated dead links. If you come across any of those, don't let it stop you or upset you, just keep going. There are so many resources out there, you'll come across them in time. You can also report a dead link in the feedback section and I'll see if I can suggest something else.

Feel free to visit my profile page, where I've listed many of my favorite resources after my story. I've got forum postings, books, articles, web links, podcasts, and at least one audio program that might be available at your public library (many of the books are as well, and most books are available in written, electronic, or audio versions).

ARCUser831 and hotmilk like this.
  3. ARCUser831

ARCUser831 Well known member

If you are new to the concept of TMS, I would say the number one thing you need to do right now is learn. None of the methods will be very effective if you do not first grow your belief in TMS, the root cause of your pain/discomfort, and the way out.

The primary books I always see recommended -- all of which I've read or am currently reading include:
    • Any John Sarno Book (AKA the "father" of TMS ... where this paradigm started)
    • Steve Ozanich's The Great Pain Deception (the best overall TMS book in my opinion - a great story, all-encompassing)
    • Alan Gordon's The Way Out (to me, this one has the most emphasis on neuropathways, practical tools)
    • Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain (I'm just starting this one, but I have seen many people this was the book that helped things "click")
    • Claire Weekes' Hope and Help for Your Nerves (if you, like many of us, struggle with anxiety and fear, this one is critical in my opinion)
    I also second @JanAtheCPA's recommendation to do a program. The Pain Recovery Program was a great starting place for me as it is a very digestible introduction to TMS as some of the tools for healing.

At the end of the day - advice I just received myself from another user as I commit to the journaling method of healing - you need to find what feels right for you. It is different for all of us. Learn all you can and then use the tools you've learned and it will become clear what you respond to most.

Good luck!

JanAtheCPA and hotmilk like this.
  4. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

first and foremost - getting the knowledge of TMS

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice to see you PNM !

PainNoMore likes this.