1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do if you have an actual medical condition?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by twocups88, Feb 3, 2024.

1. twocups88

twocups88 Well known member

Hi everyone. I have a tms type personality. I have trauma, anxiety, OCD, people pleaser, addiction issues. I developed type 2 diabetes several years ago due to my addiction to processed foods. Today i still don’t take care of my diabetes the best. I have stomach issues. IBS and heavy burping. Recently over the past couple of weeks I believe i have acid reflux symptoms. I always feel burning and acid in my throat. I have been stressed at work. My boss is a real piece of work who degrades his employees and threatens with firing them. I sometimes believe this is stress relayed but i also have in my mind the diabetes slowed my stomach down and thats why I have all these problems. If anyone has some advice how to deal with whether something is physical or TMS. But the way I see it is there is no real way of telling

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Definitely get your symptoms checked out. There are some medications which can help if you need some help along the way. I get silent reflux and sometimes acid reflux - the acid reflux actually only occurs in specific situations where I eat a combo of acidic foods at the same time. Simple medication quickly and easily eases symptoms immediately and they do not return, (so I know it is most likely not a TMS thing). However the silent reflux I have is directly related to my anxiety levels.
    Most medical practitioners are going to tell you that this type of symptom is physical. Some medications work, some do not, but remember this is just to help you manage symptoms. It is not going to assist the cause of the symptoms which is your stress level. If you have diabetes which related to the food you eat (some people are born with it), then yes, I think that eating a healthier diet could impact the way your digestion works. Two sources: Dr. Hanscom does not promote a diet, but suggests that healthy eating habits can effect our overall well being. and Dr. David Clarke is a retired gastroenterologist has noted that when he was practicing, a large number of his patients - actually most of his patients had stomach issues because of their stress. He is the head of the PPD Association (which is basically TMS by another name)
    He talks about these symptoms and acid reflux with Rose and Dr. Tovah in this clip:

I should say that when my anxiety is lower, I don't have these symptoms at all.