1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

why cant I find my hidden emotions ?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by White Flower PR, May 11, 2024.

1. White Flower PR

White Flower PR New Member

Hi Everyone! Currently on day 8 of the program...I am still having trouble finding that deep emotion that is giving me depression. Pain all gone (thank God), Fatigue is much less (Yes), but I feel kind of down, sad. I don't know why that is....any help?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Because it is repressed and UNconscious...that doesn't mean something we can figure out with introspection.
    The emotions we feel are even differentiated by Sarno and called 'perceived emotions'. in fact, one of the most frutrating things when I have had problems, is that I am usually 'fine'...which means the TMS is doing its Job...keeping me from the scary stuff that;s down there, but few if any of us EVER really know..but we can start to get an idea from 'reflections on the cave wall'...so looking at your perceived ones matters as part of this process, because it's telling the other ones that you know what they are doing.

Booble likes this.
  3. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe you are feeling a bit sad because you are solving your other symptoms?
    I'm not sure if this is true but it seems to me that our pain and our symptoms becomes a part of our identity.
    Maybe your inner parts are a little sad about your success in letting it go.
    So it's holding on to one last thing -- making you feel a little wistful. A little empty of what you have let go?

Have you been able to get in "the zone" and ask yourself why you are sad?
    I've found that conversations with myself (on paper works best for me) generally provide all the answers, and releases all the yuck.

HealingMe and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Actually, @White Flower PR, Day 8 is a VERY common point in the SEP when people experience a setback in symptoms, or new symptoms, or a plateau, or (quite often) new or worsening anxiety or depression. It's true, and I think that others will be able to corroborate this phenomenon!

In your case, WOW, look at what you've accomplished! Your poor TMS brain must be kind of confused and panicky about now...
    And there it is.

There is only one explanation for this to be happening, because the timing does not make sense in any other context: this is your TMS brain trying to make you STOP! It really wants you to stop what you're doing, it's throwing up a wall of resistance, and it's trying to convince you to avoid, give up, to just go back to the way things were.

This is actually great, awesome news. I know it's really hard to believe this, the way you're feeling right now, but again, that's your TMS brain trying to protect you, and it's not real.

Now is the time to practice compassion and kindness for yourself and patience for the process. I really feel like you've got this!

~Jan

HealingMe and Booble like this.
  5. White Flower PR

thank you for the encouraging words. I DO feel like i am beating TMS.
    I won’t give up

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. White Flower PR

i started writing yestarday, almost 30 min straight just me writing, and some heavy stuff came up…

Booble, JanAtheCPA and Baseball65 like this.
  7. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I read something from Eckhart Tolle that really helped me. Instead of saying “I am depressed“ or “I am broke“ I say stuff like “there is sadness in me right now “or“ I have $.50 in my bank account“… It’s reminding the scared child and me, that all of these perceived emotions are conditions likely to change….. they are also grounded in truth, and therefore empowering instead of infinitives which tend to perpetuate themselves

8. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

Great. I hope you felt better afterwards!
    Keep it up for a few days or a week. Let it out. Let 'er rip!

JanAtheCPA and Baseball65 like this.
  9. HealingMe

HealingMe Well known member

Don’t beat yourself up about trying to find the hidden emotion. Believe you will heal regardless. Remind yourself you are safe right now in this moment.

White Flower PR likes this.