1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Acid reflux

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BigRonnie777, Apr 28, 2024.

1. BigRonnie777

BigRonnie777 Newcomer

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding acid reflux. I believe this is one of my symptoms caused by TMS. I think my mind is lowering the pressure at the sphincter in my esophagus allowing acid to come up. This then causes a physical burn. I have had testing to show the acid is coming up when I get the pain. So my question is how people have dealt with this using the techniques such as somatic tracking. When I do this on other symptoms such as back pain the pain might change or lessen during the somatic tracking. If I use this technique for the acid burn pain it doesn't seem to change as it's an actual physical burn. Do you still treat this the same as all other pain?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @BigRonnie777 and welcome. And, I get it. It's easy to get caught up in the visualization and fear of the esophagus actually incurring damage from the acid - this not unreasonable! Give yourself a little mental and probably physical relief from that by sipping on good old plain water. Replacing whatever you normally drink all day long with plain water is just a good health habit anyway, if you don't already do that. This is not a solution, just a small tool to ease your mind as you do the primary TMS work for the long term.

There is another tool which I believe is very good in the long-term, and I find that it really eases my own reflux when it flares, and that's breathing. I'm talking about mindful therapeutic deep breathing, the kind that engages the vagus nerve. If you look up "vagus nerve breathing" online, you'll find a ton of of information and exercises. It's one of the easiest stress reducing techniques there is, it takes minimal time, no equipment, no cost, and
    is just really beneficial overall. A really good tool for the TMS toolkit.

So easy to do, but so hard for me to mindfully maintain once a reflux flare has passed. Why TF is that? :rolleyes:

3. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

I would guess that your TMS mitigation happens a little too late to be able to stop what's already in progress. Longer term TMS solutions rather than "in the moment" will hopefully help lessen the occurrences.