1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Arthritis like pain in hands - Physical or psychological?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sam007, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Sam007

Sam007 New Member

Can arthritis like pain in hands be TMS? It is not actual arthritis.

In the past, going on an anti-inflammatory diet alleviated it 100%. But I'm just wondering if it is TMS or something "physical"

2. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

If you've had arthritis ruled out by a professional, then yes, absolutely. My hand pain is a very arthritis-like, and I still don't have my normal dexterity or strength.

The diet could have simply been a placebo. As far as it being something else physical besides arthritis, idk.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Sam007

Sam007 New Member

My rheumatologist confirmed it was not arthritis.

Have you improved with TMS approach?

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It's TMS. I had a bout of this for about a week a few months ago. At first I wondered if I was getting arthritis due to my old age of 52 lol. I was in so much fear and pain, I could barely wash the dishes. hen I looked at it logically. Arthritis is a gradual process. It doesn't come on overnight. I realized it was TMS and it vanished pretty quickly.

Balsa11 likes this.
  5. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

Excellent.

Yes, I have improved, but I'm not out of the woods yet.

6. Hydrlysis

Hydrlysis New Member

Arthritis shows up in imaging all the time in asymptomatic individuals. This is well documented over decades of imaging studies. My mom actually was told she has arthritis in her foot when it was x rayed for another reason. She had and has no symptoms. Arthritis is a normal age related change in the body and is not the cause of pain.

7. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

My right hand man at work is a 23 year old who was actually diagnosed with early onset arthritis. He has really huge knuckles and joints in his hand, so I knew he was one of the few 'real' cases. It's a bummer because he is also one of the most accomplished guitar players I know.

However, after he had a bout of back pain following moving into his own house (.) , I explained about Sarno, TMS and so forth. His back pain went away immediately. THEN, during the covid crap, he had to quit taking his meds because they are immune system suppressors. Surprise... he no longer has hand pain. Even WITH 'real' arthritis.

He has only had one mild bout come back and it was when we were on a really stressful project at work. It went away when the job finished.

I have met very few people with hand and foot symptoms who are not also involved in some sort of rage inducing situation OR conditioned like lab rats.

disc degeneration is normal aging. Arthritic and calcium build up is normal again. Tears in various ligaments and joints is normal aging. They only get blamed for stuff after we get a symptom.

What was I doing when the symptom began to bug me? (not the activity, but in my life, relationships, responsibilities)
    What am I doing when it bugs me the most?
    Why would I need a distraction?

When you can answer those questions, the symptoms will stop.

Balsa11 and Idearealist like this.