1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

David Schechter's new book on Dr John E. Sarno MD

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BruceMC, May 23, 2024.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I just stumbled across this new in depth discussion by the David Schechter about his new book of reminiscences about his long-term relationship with John E. Sarno MD whose student he was. Their areas of agreement and disagreement. Lots of intimate details about Schechter's relationship with the late Dr Sarno and the evolution of TMS Theory from the ground up too. Altogether fascinating! Interesting that Dr Sarno started out first and foremost as a family doctor and gradually evolved into a full-blown academic and world-famous auther.

Please feel free to comment and elaborate as you see fit.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I watched this yesterday, it was one of Dr. Tovah’s best interviews. I need to get this book! Dr. Schecter’s attitude towards Dr. Sarno’s quirky disposition is such an excellent illustration of how people can overcome the black/whit thinking that so many folks with TMS fall into.

JanAtheCPA, Saffron and BruceMC like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great free-ranging conversation about Dr Sarno and so many TMS concepts and techniques! Highly recommended for everyone, especially anyone who has read Dr Sarno for the first time and is just starting out.

BruceMC likes this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

The book itself is even better than this interview Jan. Definitely a good read that reveals many aspects of Dr Sarno's personality and essential genius.

5. JanAtheCPA

I will order it right now! I consulted with Dr. Schecter in 2020 (at Forest's recommendation) when I received my RA diagnosis, because I wanted to treat it with pure TMS methodology. He disabused me of that notion and said that I had to follow medical direction (take the medication) but that I should absolutely apply my TMS knowledge and skills to this new (and significant) setback. What he did NOT say in this interview is what I believe really needs to be openly acknowledged by the medical industry, which is the very high likelihood that stress can cause IA conditons to manifest. The proliferation of TMS conditions which are also experienced by a significant number of RA patients is proof to me of the emotional component (needless to say, I didn't fall into that trap). The thing is, medical research has been on a massive search for the "cause" of autoimmune conditions for decades, and they still got nothin'.

6. JanAtheCPA

In the video above, Dr. Tovah mentions a previous interview with Nicole Sachs (and Michael Galinsky) in which Nicole talks about how we lie to ourselves. It is an AWESOME interview - they talk about EVERYTHING in two packed hours and it would be a great resource for beginners and for anyone who is struggling and especially for anyone who thinks that journaling does not work for them. They talk about TMS and its relationship to autoimmune conditions.
    Nicole Sachs and Michael Galinksy (All The Rage)...Journal Speak and Healing Chronic Pain (youtube.com)