1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by rsiman, Jul 16, 2023.

Tags:
  1. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

Hi,

I used to post on here years ago following the structured educational program. I had pretty severe hand pain that prevented me from using a computer much, which made me extremely depressed. I eventually read the Mind-Body Syndrome book, and while that didn't help me right at the moment it seemed plausible so I investigated further, and found this forum. I started using a computer every day, never pushing myself past to far past the point it started to hurt, but making sure I did it every day. I also started the program. I finished it off and was mostly cured, and in a couple months was probably completely better.

I had the confidence and started a school program, which I was scared about (what if my hands hurt and I can't do it?). In the first week, my hands started to hurt pretty severely, I had to laugh at how predictable it was. I started the structured educational program over from day one. Didn't have to do more than a few days and my hands felt much better. When I would feel a flare up, I would just start that program over, and usually would only do a few days before I was better again. One day I did have a acute pain in my right hand, and I just started using the mouse in my left hand because I was too busy to force myself through the pain, I had stuff to do. I just got used to it and it's worked well enough, never got around to trying to cure it again.

Something extremely traumatic happened to me last year. I started having panic attacks, including a period where I constantly thought I was going to have a heart attack and feeling chest pain, but ultimately all the doctors said I was fine after extensive testing. No more chest pain lol. Anyways I think I've been having lots of weird symptoms due to this event. Right now I have lower back pain that comes and then leaves every couple days. It's not TOO life disrupting, but it's just annoying and I want to get rid of it and back to exercising regularly. And I've had success with this before. Looking forward to trying this new program.

Thanks if you read all this lol.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

Day 2

Nothing much to write so not gonna make a new topic. Did some yoga, pretty achy but feel a bit better

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey there, @rsiman! Sorry to see you back, but I gotta tell you, there's a lot of that going around. Times are tough! In addition to your personal trauma, a lot of us are walking around in a state of existential anxiety due to world affairs over which we have NO control.

Making the commitment to do the work again is an awesome gift to yourself.

~Jan

rsiman likes this.
  4. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,

I appreciate the comment. Hope you are doing well with what's in your control.

It's true I don't want to be back but I'm also in a lot better position since I've seen success with TMS self help methods before. It's a lot scarier the first time around. And just like that my back is starting to complain haha.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Like everyone, I have some great days and some not so good, but I always assume that a setback is temporary, and that always turns out to be the case. Over time I have become pretty skilled at quickly recognizing when catastrophising and/or victimhood are trying to gain footholds in my unconscious. Rejecting those two states of corrosive mindlessness are, for me anyway, powerful tools to regain equanimity and healthy mindfulness.

lazarus100 and rsiman like this.