1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 17

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by rsiman, Apr 9, 2024.

1. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

Hi,

Just want to talk about some theories about why my finger pain is flaring up. I have had my hand pain down to a manageable level for years, so when there is a flare, it can be obvious why.

I've had a good job for a year now. But I've been doing some extra work on the side which requires some more typing. It is also a bit stressful when I do this. I think this was the catalyst for the flare up. I am fearing not being able to do this. It's also work mostly as a favor to my girlfriend, so I think I also fear letting her down.

2. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

Good insights!

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. It occurs to me to ask if this might be a good topic for a writing exercise. Perhaps an "unsent letter" to your girlfriend? A situation like this is a classic one for creating self-pressure. Pressure leads to judgement, which leads to symptoms. Somewhere in there usually lurks repression of negative emotions that your TMS brain doesn't think you're capable of facing. "I fear letting her down" could be TMS "code" for "I resent having to do this and I really resent obsessing over doing it well enough" or something like that. You'll be better off when you face the truth of how you really feel.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    Booble likes this.
  4. rsiman

rsiman Peer Supporter

I actually think the work is pretty cool, I really would like to work on it. I guess it is sort of self pressure, but I dont resent the work and truly I don't absolutely have to do it. Could be good for writing prompt though. As I type with one hand (ow!)