1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Great little article about letting go of rigid thinking

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Dec 30, 2023.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This article has some great common-sense tips for resolving to be more open, flexible, and self-compassionate when adopting new healthy habits in the new year: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/wellness/two-numbers-to-ignore-and-three-pieces-of-nutrition-advice-for-2024 (2 numbers to ignore and 3 pieces of nutrition advice for 2024)

Here's the best sub-section, which can be applied 100% to the TMS recovery process (that's my bolding on the fifth item and the quote):

Trade all-or-nothing for “good enough”
    There are too many ways that all-or-nothing, black-or-white thinking gets in the way of caring for ourselves. Some things I’ve seen in my clients, as well as friends and family:
    • The idea that it’s not worth exercising if you don’t have at least X time to commit to it.
    • The belief that if at some point during day you “fail” to eat “perfectly,” then it doesn’t matter what you eat the rest of the day.
    • Abandoning a new habit because you forgot to do the thing once.
    • Holding off on doing something new until you’re sure you can do it “perfectly.”
    Perfectionism can stop us from taking positive actions that support our health and well-being, and it can make us abandon new good-for-us habits if we falter, and shame sets in. Shame is never a positive motivator for change. Going for “good enough” and extending ourselves some self-compassion — which is the antidote for shame — can help us keep moving forward. To paraphrase the philosopher Voltaire, don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Think progress, not perfection.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to send the article to a friend, who gets up and marches in place if she thinks she won't hit her 10,000 steps for the day - and she does this while we're supposedly socializing. It's not just vaguely annoying - I have also thought that it's obsessive, and she is, of course, prone to anxiety and TMS symptoms. Now we know that not only is 10,000 steps a fake number and scientifically excessive, but that trying to reach it every day might be counteracting health benefits due to the stress of an irrational obsession!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    lindyr likes this.