1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, new to TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by KimberlyQ, May 25, 2024.

1. KimberlyQ

KimberlyQ Newcomer

Hello! I have struggled with unexplained issues all my life: chronic fatigue, depression, IBS, vulvodynia, GERD, sciatica, headaches and now asthma. Not all at once, thank goodness! It seems like trying to treat one issue often starts another one.

Being a CSA survivor with complex PTSD, I’ve always suspected these problems were somewhat psychological in nature, and I just discovered Dr. Sarno’s work and this forum yesterday. I ordered The Mindbody Prescription and am waiting for it to arrive.

At 61 years of age, I am so ready to find help and answers that don’t involve more pills and special diets! Very open to any suggestions of where and how to get started.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, you started by ordering the book. This is essentially an education program that turns into a personal action program.

Mindbody Prescription is great, but the 'action' is towards the back of the book...in fact, it might even be the last chapter(s)?
    I have owned all of his books and That one and "Healing back Pain" are my two favorites, mostly because they provoke the most reflection..and "Healing Back Pain" gets to the 'action' earlier, whereas MBP does more 'identification' earlier, BUT covers a lot more issues as he wrote it later and had discovered that many more issues than Back Pain were serving the same purpose..to keep us focused on the external....

either way, you can't go wrong....they all point in the same direction and I have never known anybody who understood this who didn't get better

welcome

JanAtheCPA and KimberlyQ like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome @KimberlyQ (and your little friend, too - I probably have a version of that same picture with the same cat tree containing two different cats over many years).

CSA is a significant predictor of what we call TMS, as you suspected and are now having confirmed. If you've never heard of the assessment for Adverse Childhood Experiences (the ACEs quiz) it's a valuable and easy-to-access resource which I would recommend because it can offer you an informed framework as you dive into this work. Here's my favorite place for an easy way to answer the ten yes/no questions, plus a concise explanation of what it is and how to interpret (or not) the results:
    Take The ACE Quiz — And Learn What It Does And Doesn't Mean : Shots - Health News : NPR

As soon as you've read and absorbed The MindBody Prescription (my Sarno book was The Divided Mind) go ahead and check out the Structured Educational Program on our main tmswiki.org website. It's free, no registration or signup needed - you're on your own to just do it. You could actually read Day 1 right now and watch the video, which is a profile of Dr. Sarno and his work on what is now an old segment of 20/20(ABC).

A great place to browse while you're waiting for the book to arrive, or for a quick read on on your phone, is the Success Stories subforum. The stories are inspiring. The ensuing discussions can sometimes be very illuminating and helpful as well.

I just watched two videos which I also think will be extremely valuable to beginners, but ONLY after reading one of the books! This is because these videos are interviews with TMS professionals who worked closely with Dr. Sarno when they were still students in their respective professions (MD and LCSW). The interviews offer a fascinating look at Dr. Sarno from those days, but they also cover a lot of different aspects of successfully applying his theories today, and you absolutely MUST be grounded with one of his books, otherwise you will be completely lost. Here's the forum thread with links to both:
    David Schechter's new book on Dr John E. Sarno MD | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org)
    So that you don't lose track of the thread, you can bookmark this post by clicking the word "Bookmark" below - it will be stored on your profile page under - you guessed it - "Bookmarks".

All the best - keep posting and keep us posted!

~Jan

Baseball65 and KimberlyQ like this.
  4. KimberlyQ

KimberlyQ Newcomer

Thank you both so much!

Baseball65 likes this.
  5. KimberlyQ

KimberlyQ Newcomer

My book arrived and I have started reading it, and doing some journaling. It occurred to me I neglected to mention maybe my worst “pain” which is depression, and that that too is almost certainly a cover for repressed rage.

JanAtheCPA likes this.