1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How can i overcome pain lasting all day?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Simmon, Oct 21, 2023.

?

Can pain that TMS causes last all day long like me?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Simmon

Simmon Newcomer

I'm 22 and have suffered low back pain over one year. (I'm an Asian so English isn't my mother tongue. Plz understand my grammar mistake) As i wrote my profile, i did everything including Endoscopic surgery. But nothing worked. I have only one degenerative. Most doctors said they don't know why i feel pain all day long. The only thing that i can do now is Fusion surgery. But i don't think that is right surgery for me. Because i don't think Disc causes my pain anymore. The thing is i feel pain even though i lie abed. It means i feel pain all day long. How can disc cause pain even when i lie abed? The doctor said now i feel pain because of Neuropathy not because of Disc problem. It means that nerves related to my back have problem. Fortunately, pain when i lie abed is not that severe so i can sleep well. But the fact that i feel pain even i stay still is so irritating and annoying. Can pain that TMS causes last all day like me? Actually, after surgery, my symptoms became complex. Before surgery, i feel only middle point of my back all day long. But after surgery, the pain moves between my back and both hips without a rule. I usually feel only one point of pain. For example, if i feel back pain, then i don't feel buttock pain or buttock pain is very weak enough to ignore and vice versa. Sitting is the most painful position for me. Walking is also painful but better than sitting. A little bit weird thing is i can run and work out for a while unlike normal back pain patient. Just doing something while raising my back for long time is so hard and painful to bear. The longer i keep my waist up at once, the more i feel pain. I really want to go back to my normal life. But i cannot lie, stand and sit without pain. Above all, i want to lie abed and rest and fall asleep without any pain first. I already read Dr. Sarno's book. Is there anybody who suffered pain lasting all day like me and overcome? I only saw successful TMSer who felt pain only when doing something or specific position like sitting. Plz give me some hope and useful advice.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I know for sure that it is impossible to read everything on this forum, and it's impossible to absorb everything when scanning for specific information. People tend to focus on the pain that keeps them from doing what they want, but I can assure you (after twelve years on this forum) that plenty of people report having pain all of the time. Is it the most common type of pain? No, probably not. But it most certainly exists in the TMS world.

This is a fact: all symptoms, in fact all sensations, and all physical processes in our bodies, are managed by our brains. We see over and over again that the TMS brain mechanism will create whatever kind of pain someone needs in order to keep that person "safe" and always in fear. This is what YOU need to stay in fear, therefore that is what YOUR TMS brain is giving to you.

A lot of people waste a lot of time trying to find an EXACT match to their symptoms. This is also your TMS brain, trying to make you believe that this search is accomplishing something. It is not. It's time for you to do the work - and by that, I mean the emotional work.

If you are now being told that you have neuropathy, this is because the doctors don't know what else to tell you, and that's good news. Alan Gordon recently published a book titled The Way Out, which is about how the nervous system needs to be retrained and rewired to learn a "way out" of an expectation of pain. You can review an introduction to his latest theories at the website/wiki/forum for Pain Reprocessing Therapy. However, it has been said that PRT does not necessarily address the emotional aspects of TMS symptoms, so if you are still very new to those, I would recommend that you also try the Structured Educational Program (free, no registration required) on the main tmswiki.org.

Good luck!

3. Simmon

Simmon Newcomer

Thank you, JanAtheCPA! I'm impressed. As you told me i wouldn't waste my time searching an exact match to my symptoms. Searching is not accomplishing! I wanna ask you how to be patient regardless of reducing pain? To be honest, i wanna see outcome(it means reducing pain) as soon as possible.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I understand! Wanting to get rid of the pain is the first thing on your list! Right now you are still floundering, you're still asking the beginning questions, you've posted two different times in addition to coming to the chat, and you are kind of all over the place! You've got to:
    Stop.
    Breathe.
    Listen to how your fearful brain has all your negative thoughts racing around, assuming the worst!
    Make a plan of action and commit to it.

I just posted some things on your other thread so check those out!

5. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi @Simmon,

I searched around a bit to find a few discussions around having constant pain.
    It's gotta be awful (it's not something I have experienced, thankfully), but there are practical suggestions out there. And, having constant pain makes getting into the work all that more important.
    I wish you well in getting through this.

This first one might be the most helpful. It's an older discussion, but a gem of a discussion, because there are many responses from folks with a lot of experience and wisdom:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/such-severe-pain-tms.7035/ (Such severe pain - TMS?)

This answer could also be helpful. It's a longer response to someone struggling with 24/7 pain:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-if-pain-is-high-24-7-episode-3.23074/ (Callie K. - What if pain is high 24/7? (Episode 3))

This is an older discussion, but highly relevant--several folks identify with having constant pain:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/24-7-symptoms-feeling-overwhelmed-coping-strategies.11307/ (24/7 symptoms + feeling overwhelmed: Coping strategies?)