1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you read TMS books on a typical day?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Janaína, Dec 27, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Janaína

Janaína Newcomer

I know that one of the most important steps to overcoming TMS is reading books about TMS, but I'm not sure how much I should read each day. Can you share how long you read on a typical day? I know some people prefer listening to podcasts about TMS, so it would be great if you could also share how long you listen to podcasts on a typical day. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

To each his own. That's the first lesson in doing this work. There are a ton of resources out there, but the journey is unique to each individual. I can say definitively that recovery has nothing to do with the amount of time you spend - it's what you do with the knowledge you receive.

Some people just keep devouring content (written or audio or video) but don't actually ever make a commitment to doing the emotional work. They will have some success, but we see an enormous number of people who come back here to report that their success did not last. The folks who finally do the deeper emotional work are the ones who establish the long-term tools that work for them to maintain their mental and physical health.

Back in 2011, I read Dr. Sarno's 2008 book (The Divided Mind), found this forum and almost immediately started doing the Structured Educational Program. At the same time I read Hope & Help For Your Nerves by Claire Weekes, which I call the second book that saved my life. Those two books and the SEP were the foundation of my long-term recovery and they helped me to develop the skills I still use today to get back on track in the fact of the inevitable setbacks. I did not stop learning - my profile page lists many resources that I found extremely valuable as I fine-tuned and increased my personal knowledge base and outlook about the lifelong journey that is the mindbody connection. I also consider my twelve years of participation here on the forum as another resource for learning new things, and refining how to communicate the knowledge and skills.

The bottom line is this: at some point you have to buckle down and do the work. The SEP is kind of old and admittedly has some dead links, but it's still a really good starting point, as it's free, there's no registration, and it's easily accessible from our main tmswiki.org web site.

Bonnard and Janaína like this.
  3. Janaína

Janaína Newcomer

Thank you so much for your kind answer. It's interesting that you started getting better in 2011, because 2011 was the year I started having symptoms. I'll read the books you mentioned.

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

In 2011 I was 60 years old, and I'd had stress-related physical symptoms, off and on, my entire life. I believe that I was born with anxiety (which is another story). Many smart doctors over the decades assured me that I was perfectly healthy, but that I seemed to be very anxious and perhaps I should do something about that (I didn't, but each time they told me that, the current symptoms would magically disappear). Marriage and career kept me distracted most of the time, and I coped with symptoms when they came along. Until 2010/2011, when I became single again, and I no longer had the stress of maintaining a relationship to keep me distracted. And I turned 60, which I believe was a big trigger - we know that aging is a known inducer of repressed rage. Anyway, I spent a year or so with symptoms that kept piling on, consulting a number of alternative practitioners without much change, until by the summer of 2011 I was well on the road to becoming housebound with dizziness, shaky legs, multiple pain symptoms, lots of GI problems, panic attacks, and even depression for the first time in my life. When I stumbled on a recommendation to read The Divided Mind I experienced a HUGE amount of almost instant relief (and I think any of Dr Sarno's earlier books would have done the trick). In fact, what later learned is that I experienced the miracle of "the book cure". But I knew I needed more, which is why I did the SEP. My life changed, and even at 72, even after four years of worsening world dysfunction, and a decade of cultural, political, and technological world stress, along with some serious and unexpected personal losses in 2012 and 2014 of people who were very important to me - I'm still so much better off than I was 13 years ago. And not housebound, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Bonnard and Janaína like this.
  5. Janaína

Janaína Newcomer

Thank you for giving me hope!

6. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

I've found different ways to read books about TMS.
    There are book(s) to be read that can provide an introduction to TMS and a way to try to identify with the stories and personality types described there. It's a way for us to connect TMS to the symptoms we are experiencing. @JanAtheCPA mentions a couple books above (Dr. Sarno & Claire Weekes) that were part of a foundation for her (the Structured Educational Program was included in that foundation).

Once you find passages that you really connect with, those passages/pages/chapter(s) can be touchstones that you return to for reassurance. Re-reading sections of Dr. Sarno's writings can be so helpful and grounding. When you know it's TMS in your heart, but your head still gets in the way with doubts (and maybe symptoms!), this can help.
    Short reads matter here. Having the books handy (physically or virtually) during the day is super helpful. I've left copies in my car and at work, and even carried around a book in a backpack during outings or travels.

Then, there's finding brand new books (or other audio materials, like podcasts, interviews, etc.) that provide a different perspective, or just re-state the basics in new way. Keeping things fresh is a great thing. We're fortunate to be dealing with TMS in these times when there are so many resources available. There was a time when Dr. Sarno's books (and a few others) were just about all that was out there.

There's also being open to books that are not exactly related to TMS, but help us along on the journey. There's a ton of different things that can help us here. I've had books recommended by a therapist. I've read books about physical activities I was pursuing, and that was so helpful with my TMS because pursuing those activities was blocked by my symptoms at one point. My brain got such a talking-to (there's absolutely nothing wrong with me--look at what I'm doing now!) when I was really active athletically. There are books on yoga/meditation/anxiety/mindfulness and then there could be books that address some of the issues that cause our perfectionism, people-pleasing, avoidance of emotions, etc.

I think with so many of these reading practices, it's internalizing what you read. As @JanAtheCPA suggests above, it's not the time spent, but the knowledge received.
    I wish you well!

JanAtheCPA and Janaína like this.
  7. Janaína

Janaína Newcomer

Thank you, Bonnard. Your answer was really helpful.