1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I want to hit my boss with a shovel

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I heard about this article from the Cincinnati Inquirer, entitled Newspaper man used his brain to cure his pain. where a journalist describes how he overcame chronic pain using the TMS approach.

Not too surprisingly he wrote that he found out about TMS from watching the 20/20 video. But the best line was when he wrote Sarno’s theory is we all have a primitive section of our brain with violent hatreds and desires such as, “I want to hit my boss with a shovel.”

I had to smile a bit when I read this the first time, because it was so perfect.

The article also had a request box next to it that said,

Share your experience
    If you have a story to tell about how you lead a healthy lifestyle or have overcome a health issue, email it to healthyliving@enquirer.com.​

I'm not sure what will come of it, but I think I will submit my success story to this address. If any of you are comfortable with it, I would encourage you to do the same as well. It would be great to let the paper know that there are more people out there who have recovered, and who knows, it may lead to another story. There is great strength in our story and it would be great to let our voices be heard about the treatment of chronic pain.

Livvygurl likes this.
  2. Lori

Lori Well known member

That 20/20 clip with John Stossel is really great; I still remember it.

Though I do think I want to hit my boss with a shovel is our own deep-seated anger!! Not that bosses don't tick us off occasionally . . . ;)

Maybe it is time for us to chime in on this kind of coverage too. I'll put something together to email to enquirer. :)

Beach-Girl and Forest like this.
  3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I laughed when I read the title of this thread. I thought, 'oh no, not Forest too!' I have been Mrs Angry at work this week. At one stage I felt like picking up a chair and lobbing it at a colleague. I didnt hit my boss with a shovel but i did send her an irate email. She got defensive. Despite the fact she is taking a counselling course, she can be a terrible listener when she gets in defensive mode. This just enraged me further. Unfortunately my physical self became the casualty, i.e. I ended up in pain.

Let us know if you get a response from your submission. It could be great publicity.

Forest likes this.
  4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Well, I am the boss. And I occasionally want to hit myself with a shovel. I'm learning though what I've done for a day was the best I could - and it didn't have to be perfect.

I agree with Lori - it's we who have the anger issues and buttons that are pushed by those in authority. They are answering most likely to another source. Like me to Hubby who actually owns our store. I have to report to him certain things I've done. I find it infuriating since it's usually a long drawn out discussion and I have no time for it. Yet, I've run the store successfully (until the downturn) for 20 years. Why NOW must I answer to him? Because he's scared. I see this and work through my anger and try and talk in my "indoor voice".

But I admit it's hard when I feel my heart start to race in frustration and I feel he's checking up on me. I'm struggling for the happy middle ground. It's nearly impossible while we're in our season - but at least I see myself getting angry now. acknowledge it. use the "Alan deep breath" and move on.

Life's a beach and then you fry! (that was a line I reinvented. Has to do with clamming)

BG

5. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

I want to hit my boss with a shovel, too. Then bury him with it. There are moments when I start hitting MYSELF with a shovel, but since starting with Alan and learning about the existence of my INNER ASSHAT I re-direct out of it, I yell at *it* to FUCK OFF, tell it to pound snow, tell it I KNOW WTF YOU'RE DOING, AND I'M ON TO YOUR GAME, and just generally cuss the SHIT out of it. Because I'm tired of being dragged around the dirt by my ear by old bullies.

"Life's a show, and we all play our parts. And when the music starts, we open up our hearts. It's all right, if some things come out wrong, we'll sing a happy song, and you can sing along."

veronica73 likes this.
  6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

My first reaction to the bullies is anger and a desire to beat the crap out of them. However if I get myself all worked up about them, I end up with a raging headache so thus no better off. I am trying to break that habit by remaining calm, not tensing up. It isn't easy and I do regress. But the old way just doesn't work for me. I have a meeting with my boss this week which I have been dreading. I am making a concerted effort to take care of myself so will be leaving the shovel in my car. By whacking her over the head with it, metaphorically speaking, I would end up with no job as well as a headache.

7. Shanshu Vampyr

I would respectfully disagree with the above post. I know that even without my knowledge my bully has been getting off scot free for years. Why not fight it an eye for an eye? After all we're all sleeping with the enemy here---ourselves. I try to "titrate" my emotional response---when I feel a bigger fear/criticism jag coming on, I really let the bully have it with both barrels. "Say hello to my little friend!!!"

8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, whatever works for you, do more of it. I haven't found any two people who get better in the exact same way.

9. Shanshu Vampyr

edit: And my "little friend" is NOT Bear. :)