1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

IBS structural or TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Robdog, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Robdog

Robdog Newcomer

New
    Help with IBS as TMS or parasite? About 10 years ago I contracted Blastocystis a very common parasite, from eating a salad, likely. My bowel developed IBS symptoms although I didn’t know the term, I took antibiotics for six month and the parasite remained. Best I can tell by stool samples the past 10 years the parasite is still there. The last sample was 2019. Over the 10 years the IBS would come and go. For the most part I have been able to live well enough although my bowel has never been as it was before the blastocystis took up residence. In June 2023 I ate cooked oysters and within 3 hours I was very sick with cramps and diarrhea. This lasted 3-4 days. My bowel was hit hard. Then the bowel settled down for a week and suddenly started up with all the IBS symptoms of cramps, abdominal pain, constipation or very loose stool. A recent stool test showed Blastocystis is present. So the question: do I treat this as structural with this parasite, maybe a new infection from the oysters or TMS brought on by the dramatic hit the bowel took with oyster poisoning? Thank you for your thoughts