1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Knowledge and decrease in symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Betty Boop, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Betty Boop

Betty Boop New Member

Hi everyone.

I wanted to ask, I have cptsd and I have been looking at videos on YouTube that explain so many things that I have gone through and why and I feel that I have been finally understood why I am the way I am and that there are explanations as to a lot of my behaviors throughout my life.

This in return has lowered some symptoms. How can this happen (I know this can happen with Dr Sarno's books)? I'm not sure if this will be long lasting as I know I have alot of emotions that need to be expressed and worked through.

I have been looking into finding a IFS therapist and have some free initial calls at the moment to find a match for me and would like to know, can this form of therapy help heal the nervous system which in effect can dial down or diminish chronic pain much like what has happened to me above?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

IFS helps the Cptsd, and some of the mental/emotional impact of it in your life.
    Your knowledge of what is causing your physical symptoms and the mental impact of things like knowing it is not permanent is impacting your symptoms. IFS is considered to complimentary to doing TMS work (generally, but there are no hard or fast rules) eg. Reading a book by Dr. Sarno for knowledge of how TMS really works and how your personality traits, habits, thoughts etc. contribute to stress.
    The next step is usually to do a program (free here) like the SEP or Alan Gordon’s (also free here) that teaches you stills to dial back your nervous system through your life when needed and how to deal with fear thoughts (SEP helps with other fears too).
    Generally people need to the TMS work to feel better long term.. but then again everyone is different.

Betty Boop and Ellen like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Knowledge helps both TMS and C-PTSD because while there are the symptoms and/or life effects, there is also our reaction to the symptoms and life effects. Once we know there is an explanation for our pain and dysfunction, we no longer think of ourselves as a victim or just a bad person who has made bad choices. This knowledge takes away some of our angst about our situation, and provides a path for change, so we have improved self esteem and hope for the future.

I don't have any experience with IFS, so I can't speak to that. But I have recovered from TMS and am in the process of recovering from C-PTSD using a self help approach. The resource that has helped me the most with C-PTSD is Dr. Nicole LePera, who is listed as the @theholisticpsychologist on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. She also has a YouTube channel called the Selfhealer's Soundboard, as well as a couple of books that are helpful.

Betty Boop and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a good question, @Betty Boop. One way that I think about all of this is that it's all about power.

We exist because of our brains. Our brains are literally in charge of every single physiological and emotional and intellectual process that we have. The brain is in control, and it's the one with the power.

We have our conscious brains, which are hopefully rational, and we have our unconscious or subconscious brains which get things done, or do things for us, without our awareness. I think(?) that neuroscience tells us that a lot of our brain power goes to the unconscious or subconscious processes. I seem to recall that we've also been told that we don't use a lot of the power of our brains!

What I like to call the TMS mechanism is a very primitive part of our brain which was designed to automatically and unconsciously take over whenever there is a perceived threat to our safety and survival. The mechanism creates what we call the Fight Flight or Freeze response, which involves a number of physical reactions, including inflammation, tension, adrenaline, cortisol, emptying of the gut to make fighting or running away easier, etc. It also cuts off any emotional activity which will only get in the way of needing to take action.

This mechanism worked great in the primitive world where the different kinds of threats were very few, and had a clear beginning and end, with time in between to recover - if you survived the threats. Clearly it worked well for human survival because here we are today.

However!! The modern world is far from simple, and the number of stresses we encounter every day are infinite. And here's the problem: our brains have not evolved for the modern world. They still don't know the difference between one of those primitive life-or-death threats, versus the constant stress we feel from things like bad relationships, aggravating traffic, social media, looming world disorder and environmental disaster, or, in the worst cases, childhood trauma and adversity.

So what happens is that we end up in a constant state of Fight Flight or Freeze, with all of those physiological responses occurring which were designed to help us survive - including emotional shutdown. But these responses were never meant to be employed 24/7. And it turns out that a constant state of Fight Flight or Freeze is very unhealthy in the long run.

So back to the concept of power. Having this knowledge is powerful. Knowing that our brains are making a mistake takes away the power of our brains to keep employing these physical responses and emotional shutdown. The so-called Sarno book cure is proof that many people with very mild TMS from adult stressors often recover with that knowledge alone, although most find that employing some basic techniques for anxiety reduction and emotional release is also helpful. Still, this knowledge is truly that powerful.

People with more complex and lengthier stress, most especially anybody with childhood adversity and trauma, need a lot more than a book to essentially rewire their unconscious survival response. In these cases, I believe that the survival response becomes even more powerful and quite resistant to change, because it is built up over such a long time during the vulnerable years of childhood.

"Complex" is, of course, the "c" in your cptsd. And speaking of power, I appreciate that you give your diagnosis less power by using lowercase letters! I don't know if you did that consciously, but I like it!

I reference a resource in my long list (on my profile) called "Meditations to Change Your Brain". It's actually more lecture than meditations, a collaboration between a neuroscientist and a well known therapist/author. It's where I learned about this primitive wiring of our brains and what we can do about it. Highly recommended, and in my city it's available from my library.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
    Betty Boop and BruceMC like this.
  5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop New Member

Thank you so much for this reply. I have already beagn the SEP program and want to believe that it will help my journey.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Betty Boop

Betty Boop New Member

Thank you and so sorry you are also trying to heal from cptsd. I have looked up Dr Nicole lepera and have already brought one of her books. Thank you for suggesting her, as her content seem very very helpful for me.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Betty Boop

Betty Boop New Member

Thank you so so much for this in detail message of yours. The detail in your message calmed me down. Yes lower caps always to give it as much less power as possible because I do believe healing is possible even from this. Not an easy task but with hope and help it can be done.

JanAtheCPA likes this.