1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Leg swelling one side only

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Louise D, Oct 14, 2024 at 2:49 PM.

1. Louise D

Louise D Peer Supporter

Three days ago I noticed that an area of my left leg was considerably bigger/thicker than my right leg. It seemed odd to me, so I looked at the rest of my leg and noticed that generally it is bigger now in a way that it wasn't before throughout my thigh, in my hip area and below my knee. I'm panicking that it is lymphedema.

I have a history of various manifestations of TMS. I have been going through about two months of intense stress at work. I work from home for a CPA firm in the outsourced accounting department. We have been onboarding a new non-profit client whose books are an utter mess and I have been under a LOT of pressure to clean it up fast, while the client has been extremely frustrating to deal with. That - combined with other highly stressful issues - has had me in a state of frustration, anger, and fear steadily for at least two months. I thought my TMS was finding its expression through dermatographia. That kicked in about a month ago. I also itch a lot, but as soon as I scratch it, welts appear. It has been maddening, but I figured it would resolve once the inciting situations improve.

Now the swelling... I have been sitting at my desk for about 60 hours a week for a couple of months and am wondering if that triggered lymphedema. I'm trying to decide whether or not to go to the doctor (more money out the door). I dread the possibility of lymphedema.

Has anyone had edema or swelling across a wide area, not just a specific joint, like this where is it most of my leg all the way up to my hip? It would help to know if TMS manifested itself to anyone else like this and if it got better.

2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

I have read stories of this happening to people on this forum. I guess you could try applying TMS healing techniques and see what happens.

3. Diana-M

This sounds like it could cause TMS for sure.

4. Louise D

Louise D Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for replying, Diana-M. Do you have any idea where some of those stories might be?

5. Diana-M

On this wiki. I’ve read them from time to time. You could try searching. Use the magnifying glass in the top right corner.

6. Louise D

Louise D Peer Supporter

Okay. Thank you. I'll see what I can find.

7. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm sorry that I can't refer you to anyone's story who had the exact same symptoms as yours... however, the brain can cause all manner of symptoms to include swelling; @TG957 and @miffybunny stories demonstrate that... They were both considered to have CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome) and their symptoms included swelling (without there being any prior injury) and they both recovered by doing mind/body work.

See the video on this thread for @TG957's story https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/foot-discoloration-swelling-neuroma-after-fracture.23269/ (Foot discoloration, swelling, neuroma after fracture) - the whole video's good, but her particular story is at around 30 mins 23 secs in, and shows a photo of her swollen hand.

@miffybunny had swollen feet (she has said that the only footwear she could get on her feet were large, pink Crocs); I'm afraid I don't know if her legs were swollen too.

TG957 likes this.
  8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Swelling very well can be TMS. This is how my worst TMS episode began. Itching can be caused by swelling itself. I would still go to the doctor to rule out other purely physiological conditions, but I would be careful about accepting any long neurological diagnosis - that would be a clear sign of TMS. In my case it was carpal tunnel syndrome which was a complete stretch of my doctor's imagination.

Diana-M and BloodMoon like this.