1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Medical trauma?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by KEANU4141, Dec 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

Does anyone else seem to have medical trauma? I feel like after all the time looking for something to be diagnosed with something and figure out what all my symptoms are from (before discovering TMS) its almost caused me trauma from anything medical. Like when someone around me like my dad did today about medical stuff i get anxiety and overthink even if theirs not much to overthink from just because I still have the symptoms and even though I am on the right track now I just still get anxiety from hearing about medical stuff even seeing people in wheelchairs for example. If you can please reply and let me know if you or other people with TMS often have this type of "trauma".

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This is simply part of anxiety - anything your brain senses as unsafe will start the nervous system to be on alert again. I used to have it, but it fades. These are the types of intrusive thoughts you simply remind yourself of over and over again that they are simply thoughts. Thoughts are not real, or true. They are simply just there.
    Meditation can really begin to help you separate from your thoughts. If you haven't tried it yet, I found a great way to begin is by simple body scans.

3. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

Okay thank you so that's almost like a personality trait in a way or a common trait in general with TMS?

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Don’t worry or ruminate on these thoughts of things like do other people go through this, is it common… it doesn’t matter. Those are simply anxious thoughts. Just let them pass.
    What I found helped was learning to meditate: it helps you learn to refocus the mind away from these thoughts, and getting back into your personal interests.
    It can be slow and take some time but it will get way better.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Based on your multiple posts I'm actually sensing what could be obsessive compulsive behavior (OCD) which is really a form of hyper-anxiety and a tendency to ruminate constantly in an unhealthy way (look up Rumination to see what that's all about).

We see a fair amount of OCD here, and I have come to believe that people develop these traits due to childhood pressure and dysfunctional family experiences. It sure sounds like both of your parents are trying to keep you stuck exactly where you are, in an extreme state of fear and anxiety and hyper-sensitivity. Have you ever considered psychotherapy?