1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nicole Sachs, LCSW NBA player interviewed by Nicole Sachs!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, May 9, 2024.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is kind of a Wow moment in the TMS world - Nicole just interviewed 25-year old Michael Porter Jr, NBA player with the Denver Nuggets, for her podcast! This is a guy with an astonishing back story for someone so young, having had three back surgeries by the time he was 23, and his pain issues were threatening to sabotage what had looked like a brilliant basketball career. He had read Healing Back Pain which resonated and helped him somewhat, but it sounds like he was still struggling last summer (2023) when he discovered Nicole's work online. He asked to meet her, embraced her work and message, and apparently went on to complete a full season without being sidelined by back pain (I say apparently because I do not follow sports at all). We don't know if he did one of her paid programs, or if he read her book, or if he simply took advantage of her free resources which are so plentiful. Although it does sound like he did get a private session with her and that makes him a lucky guy because she doesn't do that anymore!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-cure-for-chronic-pain-with-nicole-sachs-lcsw/id1439580309 (‎The Cure for Chronic Pain with Nicole Sachs, LCSW on Apple Podcasts)

https://www.yourbreakawake.com/podcasts/the-cure-for-chronic-pain-with-nicole-sachs-lcsw-2/episodes/2148744115 (S3 Ep87: Michael Porter, Jr. is FREE of Chronic Back Pain and Playing the Best Basketball of his Life)

Or whatever app you use for podcasts but you MUST check out the episode's photo...

BruceMC, Dorado and TG957 like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I just found this You Tube video from last year, where Michael Porter Jr hosts Nicole on his show, called Curious Michael. It's great. She clearly explains the brain science behind acute pain and chronic pain, and explains and expands on Dr Sarno's theory. MPJ talks about resistance to journaling, about the myth of positive thinking, and lots of other good stuff.

This would be a great starter video for many people.

BruceMC, Ellen and TG957 like this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Jan, I think this YouTube interview is one of the clearest expositions of TMS in theory and practice that I've had the pleasure of watching. Nicole and Michael cut through all the BS and lay a groundwork for TMS therapy entering the mainstream from the ground up as Nicole puts it simply because this approach is so pragmatic and effective. A public figure like Michael's acceptance of this approach, after going through so many other false starts himself, may legitimize Sarno for the masses and influence the allopathic MDs as well. I know that Kaiser has introduced Herbert Benson's Relaxation Response along with meds into their hypertension treatment program. It seems like it's high time that a similar body-mind synthesis occur in the treatment of chronic pain.

backhand and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is amazing! I love that he’s still playing even after three surgeries - something that terrifies any athlete. He sounds unstoppable and like a really great role model for all of us.

BruceMC and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. mbo

mbo Well known member

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I like what Nicole Sache says about how mind-body therapy is increasingly based on real discoveries in neuroscience. Means TMS and the new world view it's based on are becoming more mainstream and widely accepted by some but not all members of the scientific and medical communities:

"Sachs, the psychotherapist and mind-body clinician who has been working with Porter since last summer, said chronic pain results from a dysregulated nervous system triggered by repressed emotions and stored trauma. When the trauma is uncovered and processed, Sachs said, the signals of pain stop firing.

'This is not hippy dippy therapy talk,’
    Sachs said. 'This is literally about brain science.'’’

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    JanAtheCPA likes this.