1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

No progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by shadowson, Apr 30, 2024.

1. shadowson

shadowson New Member

I’ve tried TMS methods for approx 3 years and had zero results.

Where do I go from here? Hope feels impossible…

2. Bjv

Bjv New Member

Have you been diagnosed with ME/CFS? I recently been diagnose with Long covid with me/CFS symptoms. Ive used TMS for other issues like chronic back pain and neck pain. And it greatly reduced symptoms although i woukdnt say completely eliminated. Having trouble feeling that way about my PEM from long cocid as ive been crashing only gotten worse.

trying to stay positive is very hard but very important for me. Wish you luck.

shadowson likes this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@shadowson
    I’ve read some frustration and desperation in your posts. Is that correct?
    These are elements of self-pressure, and are known to really throw a kink into this process, because they reflect about how you feel about your internal self.
    There is the emotional work, but also the spiritual work, which can feel so subtle. It’s all about the attitude and the faith in ourselves to be able to handle it all. Do you feel like you have been able to engage in that aspect? I have wonderful people in my life who have gently pointed out, I might feel like I am there, but they still see/hear evidence I am not fully. So I keep going and trying to recognize the small ways I’m not kind to myself or pressure myself.. the “micro stress” @JanAtheCPA has kindly posted about recently.
    Lastly, I will ask if you read posts others post to this forum. That is where I have learned the most. When I can relate to what others experience, I learn more about my own experience.

shadowson and Diana-M like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great minds think alike - I was going to ask @shadowson the same question for the same reason:

shadowson likes this.
  5. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

@shadowson,

What @Cactusflower, @Bjv and @JanAtheCPA said, for sure!

But also this: Dr. Sarno said 5% of the people he saw didn’t respond to the typical TMS treatment strategy. And for those people, he said it would require psychotherapy to root out the deep seated rage. I am one of those people.

I’ve been seeing my therapist now for 3 years. And I still have TMS. But I only got active on this wiki about a month or so ago. I think it takes a combination of so many things to heal. Dan Buglio, a well-known TMS counselor, took 13 years. I know that’s discouraging.

I’m with you! Where do you turn? Sometimes it’s so tempting to think there’s no hope. But there IS always hope, if you don’t give up. I mean, what do we have to lose? They say you have no idea in this journey when it will all click and come together. So, I for one, am not giving up. I hope that gives you a little hope!

shadowson likes this.
  6. shadowson

shadowson New Member

Thanks. They’ve kind of diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and CFS. But my doctors are generally clueless and half-arsed.

7. shadowson

shadowson New Member

Yes 100%
    frustration and desperation.
    I’ve been in pain for 15 years and getting no results with TMS methods. It’s infuriating seeing other people get results.
    I have good days and bad days but generally I’m in this myself.

8. shadowson

shadowson New Member

T
    Thanks, yes I’ve read loads of comments on here.

Im trying a 3 day fast to see if that helps. I’ve been on one meal a day for 7 weeks so I think I can do it. Hand myself over to God and ask him to heal me.

I’ve also found an OldPain2Go therapist to try and I’m working with an energy healer.

9. shadowson

shadowson New Member

Thanks. Yes I’m one of those like you that needs psychotherapy but I’ve already tried it.
    Currrntly I’m trying a 3 day fast and asking if God will heal me.
    Also I’ve found an OlDPain2Go therapist and I’m working with ann energy healer.
    Hope you get well soon but I must admit, I’m pretty hopeless at the moment.

ViviSchl likes this.
  10. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

@shadowson, I’m so sorry for your suffering! I will pray to God to heal you.

11. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head two places in your comments. You are frustrated and angry, and when we get stuck here, it’s kind of like it’s another symptom. This is what Dr. Hanscom talks about. When we are stuck it’s more of a state of mind than emotion and it becomes the “block” to things like feeling an expanse of emotion and our thoughts continually loop around this negative narrative that we will never “get better” or be unstuck.
    I’ll state again that the freedom is not the lack of symptoms but the ability of the mind to move in and out of these states. That you have better days is actually great progress. I am beginning to stop measuring progress by my physical symptoms (or lack of them) and look at the days I am able to be more fully present, handle external stressors etc with more ease.
    I think you are putting massive pressure on yourself, and maybe this is habit for you even before the symptoms? I also think perhaps you’ve never quite let go of a physical cause since you are considering diet.
    I have been in pain now for about the same length of time as you, and on and off before that for a lifetime. I’m not totally out of pain yet, but my mind is free from the suffering.
    I decided about a year ago that this was the choice I had to make, and recognized that if I chose mental freedom, reduction and hopeful elimination of symptoms would follow. What a load off of my plate! Tackling “all” of it was a heavy load!
    This is allowing me to do the type of work Sarno and Gordon have set out, and it is slowly getting way better on all fronts.

Ellen, Sita and shadowson like this.
  12. shadowson

shadowson New Member

Sorry to hear you’re still in pain.

yes I know what you’re saying but, I’ve been in much better frames of mind many many times over the years and never got out of pain. The fasting is something I’ve been dipping my toe in for a while and it’s well documented the healing benefits. I know the pain is generated in my mind though. I am putting a lot of pressure on you’re right but I’ve also taken the pressure off in the past and that didn’t work. Who knows, I’m exhausted and feel hopeless at the moment. Let’s see how the fast and OldPain2Go goes…

thanks again for your help

13. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The reason people get stuck despite their knowledge and efforts, is due to doubt (even a whisper of doubt can be enough). Steve Ozanich wrote a list of 10 main things people do wrong due to lack of belief, "Top 10 Mistakes Made in Healing From TMS" (2014 pdf). If a person lacks the fundamental belief that they are actually ok in the present moment, and they believe there is something to "fix", they will definitely stay stuck. If I remember correctly, Dan Buglio said he was missing certain pieces in his knowledge and that's why his symptoms persisted. Fasting or anything of that nature is not the answer because it means that one is still approaching this as a physical malady of some sort. You are still thinking physically and not psychologically, as Sarno would say. Another thing to consider is this idea of "trying". When we are trying, we are no longer "healing"...we are just thinking again. Doubt can also hide in our own psyche. The question is why the need for the symptoms? Why did the brain choose this defense to begin with? As others have suggested, focus on the success stories for overcoming doubts and learning hard won lessons.

Ellen and shadowson like this.
  14. shadowson

shadowson New Member

Thanks, I’ll have to check that out from Steve O. Although I’ve read his book and listened to a million Wall of Victories and had no improvement. I’m on 36 hours of my water fast now. I’ve had chronic pain and fatigue for many years, I’ve “thought psychologically” loads. I know the problem is in my brain. I’m completely exhausted and fed up now. Ive given up. Or at least I have until a week or two from now where I have a few good days. I just want to wake up without feeling like I’ve been hit by a train. Doesn’t feel too much to ask. Anyway, thanks for commenting.

15. shadowson

shadowson New Member