1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Novel ways to try to break the chronic pain & symptoms cycle - free videos by Christine Bradstreet

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Apr 26, 2024.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Check out Christine Bradstreet's free mind/body videos on YouTube (that I only recently discovered). I like them because they are relatively short but encouraging and especially because she comes up with some novel and innovative (and sometimes 'fun' and/or lighthearted) ways of doing TMS work, like in the video (below).

I spent most of yesterday briefly responding to my symptoms (when they pulled at my consciousness) with saying to myself and sometimes out loud nonsense words (as described towards the latter part of the video) and then getting on with life as usual, and the technique worked to reduce and sometimes stop the symptoms (at least in the short term, so I think if I do it enough times it's probably likely to work for the long term) which really quite amazed me.

She also has this article on her website about using music to break through to your subconscious mind -- applying this to using affirmations, to include transforming your affirmations into simple short to the point songs or jingles: https://www.christinebradstreet.com/blog/use-music-to-break-through-to-your-subconscious-mind (Use Music to Break Through to Your Subconscious Mind — Christine Bradstreet)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this @BloodMoon
    That silly vocabulary is my daily vocabulary! (My sister and I have our own funny language similar to this).
    Early on my physical therapist named my symptoms “bananas” since they are a favorite food. The idea was to create a “safe” word for them that my brain consisted with good things!

BloodMoon likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this, @BloodMoon - well worth a mere twelve minutes, and she's so calming and has a great common-sense outlook about symptoms.

I keep thinking of ice cream flavors. My Cherry Garcia feels like pistachio today...

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Two more, imo, great videos from Christine Bradstreet, especially for those who are trying to get their head around what they themselves can do to break free from TMS. They need to be viewed in the following order, as one follows on from the other...

and then

In case it's helpful the behaviours that Christine talks about in the above video are:

Brooding
    Hypervigilance
    Safety behaviours
    Avoidance
    Seeking outside help
    Inconsistent actions

(I had to go back over her video to get them established in my mind, so I thought it might be of help to list them.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
    ValkyrKai likes this.