1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Psychedelics and Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, May 17, 2024.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting update on this topic from Vox (no paywall, supported by donations): https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2024/5/15/24156372/psychedelics-chronic-pain-cluster-headache-medicine-lsd-psilocybin (Psychedelics could treat some of the worst chronic pain in the world)

The article is a bit frustrating because I think the author has missed, or perhaps avoided, drawing any conclusions about the obvious connection between mental health and chronic symptoms, but we here know how to do that. I get that the point of the article is that psychedelics are being (carefully and not yet legally) recommended for mental health problems, but not specifically for chronic pain problems. I think what's being overlooked (or avoided) is stating up front the extent to which those two issues go hand in hand for people with severe depression. I would just like to see that fact clearly acknowledged somewhere, sometime!

Feel free to discuss.

WARNING: my posting of this article is to report on the increase in medical and research communities of links being made between chronic pain and mental health. I do not recommend that anyone try self-medicating with psychedelics. Psychedelics are quite dangerous for those who are in any way mentally fragile or at risk. Having had absolutely no desire myself to experience these effects back in the 60s and 70s (although I had easy access) my understanding is that the experience can be overwhelmingly disturbing and possibly emotionally harmful without proper supervision and guidance.

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    Ellen and Baseball65 like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

When Albert Hoffman 'discovered' or developed LSD, he was actually looking for headache drugs like paracetamol and such...in fact, I believe Cafergot is one of the drugs prescribed for Migraines...and it is from the same chemical family of ergot fungus.

and au contraire:::: I would strongly recommend them! , particularly psilocyibin or MDMA to anybody struggling with 'the box'..that is being trapped in a way of thinking and seeing no other possibilities. Taken in small doses, they actually temporarily rewire your nerve synapses so you perceive things other than the way you ordinarily would.....You can 'Think different'.

Those two have extraordinarily safe use records (assuming they are pure) and only beneficial properties. You aren't going to jump off a building or Eat your own children or any of the other scare stories the Government made films of the 60's and 70's tried to imply.
    Bill Wilson , founder of AA actually thought LSD would be therapeutic for Alcoholics needing to open their mind for a spiritual experience.

I had a 'real' spiritual experience and one of the first things I thought was "Wow...I almost feel like I am on Acid (lsd), but without all of the pinwheels and melting walls"

I would only caution people...go to Nature. If you're going to microdose you go and sit in the forest or by a river. If you take it to go dancing all night in Manhattan, Yeah....bad things could happen. But historically Psychedelic drugs have been one of mans few 'gateways to the realm of the spirit'....in cultures going back Millenia. It is your birthright and the legacy of transformative power hidden in cowpies and cactus is extensive and beyond the scope of my ability to explain....a lot like TMS in our unconscious. I don't know why it works, I just know it works.

I have met Many people who would benefit from a strong dose of psilocybin. If our elected officials were taking it, we wouldn't be having any wars.

backhand and Ellen like this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

The EMDR therapist I saw suggested a medical dosing. She had worked at a VA and totally understood a link between mental health and pain, and many of her clients highly benefited from guided psychedelic therapy. It does not treat the pain, but it opens your eyes to your personality traits and thought patterns that aggravate. It helps you see what is real and what is just in the mind.

Ellen and Baseball65 like this.