1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Revisiting TMS info from Dr Sarno

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Syl, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

Every time I read Dr Sarno's "The MindBody Prescription" I pick up many snippets and insights of important information, which I later forget because I'm in the middle of doing battle with a TMS condition or conditions, and right now I'm going through the same thing with a new condition. As a result, I've been re-reading Dr Sarno's book, Dr Schubiner's book "Unlearn your pain" plus I've been absorbing all kinds of information on TMS via video and podcasts, etc.

Anyway, the following snippets come from Dr Sarno's book, and the one question that comes to mind is "WHY IS THE BRAIN SO AFRAID TO EXPERIENCE REPRESSED THOUGHTS?" Did I miss something? I mean, instead of the brain bombarding us with all sorts of TMS conditions, including anxiety, depression, and fear, why not just allow us--who are trapped in our bodies--simply deal with this?

I've had many conversations with my brain, and I still do, plus I give it reassurance, trying to make it feel safe, etc, but unfortunately my brain seems to be as stubborn as my cat!

Any feedback from anyone about the above question?

Here are the snippets from Dr Sarno's book:

The Fear Factor

Fear is another important equivalent of pain that may be more effective than the pain itself to achieve the mind’s goal of distracting attention from repressed rage.

The fear of pain, physical activity, injury, or other health conditions is enough to perpetuate TMS, even in the absence of pain. The mind is interested only in keeping our attention on the body; the fear of any of these phenomena will accomplish that as well as the reality of pain itself.

This is why the therapeutic program to eradicate TMS requires not only the cessation of pain but also the elimination of fear.

Both anxiety and depression are TMS equivalents. They, too, may serve to distract us from underlying, threatening emotions.

The psyche is eclectic in its choice of distractors.

The Rage/Soothe Ratio

Dr Sarno believed in a kind of rage/soothe ratio that could play a role in determining when physical symptoms would occur. So “why did the pain start now?” Sarno said, “Because your rage has reached a critical level, and because it now threatens to erupt into consciousness.”

Further, suppose there is another element in the equation; that it is not simply the quantity of rage that brings on symptoms but the presence or absence of counterbalancing soothing factors. Theoretically, these pleasant elements in one’s life would modify the threat posed by the rage and make symptoms unnecessary.

Dr Sarno believed something like this went on, and that the occurrence of symptoms reflects too much rage and not enough counterbalancing soothing elements in one’s life.

The Concept of Equivalency

TMS is one of a group of interchangeable physical disorders. They all serve the same mind/body purpose and are, therefore, equivalents of each other. Indeed, any physical disorder that attracts a person’s attention—for example, a fracture or severe respiratory infection—may replace the mind/body process temporarily. The pain syndrome frequently disappears with the advent of some new conditions, only to recur when it is gone.

In a survey done in 1975 it was found that 88 percent of patients with TMS had histories of up to five common mind-body disorders, including a variety of stomach symptoms, such as heartburn, acid indigestion, gastritis and hiatus hernia; problems lower in the gastrointestinal tract, such as spastic colon, irritable bowel syndrome and chronic constipation; common allergic conditions, such as hay fever and asthma; a variety of skin disorders, such as eczema, acne, hives and psoriasis; tension or migraine headache; frequent urinary tract or respiratory infections; and dizziness or ringing in the ears (not associated with neurologic or ear disease).

Not everyone agreed that these were mind/body disorders, but Dr Sarno found them to be so. They usually occurred in tandem, suggesting that they all served the same psychological purpose. The fact that they were so common in TMS patients is what inclined Dr Sarno to conclude that TMS was a mind/body malady, too.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Syl
    “WHY IS THE BRAIN SO AFRAID TOEXPERIENCE REPRESSED THOUGHTS?"
    it’s actually repressed emotions, an important distinction because thoughts are simply a process of the mind where as emotions are sensations in the body.
    We fear them because somewhere along the way we learned to judge them as unsafe. Eg. As a child, sent to your room to be alone when angry and “bad” or to cry when sad. We were separated from others when perhaps we needed comfort and simply a hug when we cried so we could learn that crying and sadness were ok. Sarno specifically discusses rage. Schubiner has broadened the friend to look in, around and under the rage to the fact there may be layers of emotion. We can also lose the ability to experience more pleasant emotions as they become associated with guilt or shame.

does that help?

Syl likes this.
  3. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

Hi there! Yes, I meant to say emotions rather than thoughts, but my fingers have a mind of their own when I type too fast I also had a good read of Dr Sarno's explanation as to why the brain is so afraid to feel the emotions. Interestingly there isn't an answer, except that out brains have not developed to the level where we can reach those emotions fully. We can, however, still talk to the conscious mind and some of this will get through to the subconscious. So it seems I'm on the right path after all.
    I must say I managed a number of TMS conditions in the past, but the ones I have now are proving to be a lot more challenging

4. Cactusflower

It’s all about self perception. I love the way Nichole Sachs has instructed those who journal to let their tantruming toddler out.
    Sarno’s repressed rage.
    It’s the old id in Freud’s world, and wants to do what it wants when it wants and is all the things we learn to judge as “bad” or “wrong”. Or Super-ego, the conscious part of us has a perception that we are or should be good, kind, giving, caring - the opposite of the two year old.
    Sarno mentions “the divided mind” - the inner conflict creates the rage but we are only truly aware of the super-ego side. Which is just fine because all you really need to do is accept that there IS rage (or emotion) and be ok with it and recognize the other stuff you do (personality traits) and be ok with that.
    I think some folks are far more aware and self-accepting than others in the tms world. Some people’s rage is turned inward, while other people are just mad at everyone else. Sarno did not give “answers” to this stuff, perhaps because he didn’t feel it was his area of expertise. His patients he felt could succeed but needed more emotional work he sent to his trusted therapists. People who knew Sarno closer to the end of his career said he had many insights and theories he passed to them, but never published himself.
    Luckily his books are enough, and less information is probably better for overthinkers like myself. I’m trying to get past the “how and why it works the way it does” and just accept this is how it is.

Syl likes this.
  5. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

Oh yes! I know about the super ego, ego, and the id. I did a few years of psychology at college. These days, when I have pain or a new condition that rears its ugly head I ask myself what could be the reason I feel this way, and whatever pops into my head I take notice of it and hope I'm getting some insight into what could be causing the condition. I also started writing in a notebook, which I entitled "What is bugging me today?" So every time a feeling comes up which makes me feel irritated, angry, etc, I quickly write it down. This could be just a few words that I write or a few sentences, and so far I'm finding this tool quite useful. Of course, I also do longer journalling. Every little bit helps, right?

Cactusflower likes this.
  6. Cactusflower

Me too - getting to the source of repetitive irritation - @Baseball65 mentioned he makes a list and goes over it.
    I’m trying this tactic too. Interestingly, I was aware of what stresses me, but framing it as anger is a whole new “ballgame”

Syl likes this.
  7. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

I seem to be very aware of what bothers me by way of stress, memories, etc. I'm also very aware of my anger and sometimes even rage to the point where I want to do something terrible. Unfortunately, all my "rage outlets" are illegal, like blowing up a building or something like that ;) I guess it's the Latin blood that runs through my veins.

8. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's about it...and I have gotten good at it without needing to DO any of the things that my wild violent fantasies have envisioned. I think a lot of people literally corral their thoughts unconsciously , afraid that if they THINK about bad things, they will happen. Not true. I even say prayers like "God, I don't want to think about this, but I am having TMS right now so I need a weekend pass,exemption to be a complete A-hole in my head til the symptoms leave"
    Remember, Jesus said "If you even angry at your brother......"
    "If you even think about adultery...."
    Those few lines from the sermon on the mount scare the crap out of us, whether we know it or not.

BUT every time I have had a symptom or an attempted symptom, the quicker I can get to that 'recurrent source of irritation' that Sarno spoke of and USE it diligently as a therapy, the symptoms have gone away FAST....Hours, days.

I had the great experience of being a complete anti-social CRIMINAL for the first 20 something years of my life... I had ZERO symptoms. Then when I tried to 'join society' later on as a Father, employee, child of God...that's when the TMS came. Right there. That extreme contrast is proof positive for me ; when I lived in my angry childish selfishness I was pain free. I didn't need any distractions.

I have been working the 12 step program... I have had a tough time explaining TMS to others there. They say things like "You don't need to make up stuff to be angry about"
    We are not making up stuff.... we are searching for things that SHOULD enrage us but do not. That is more of an act of creativity than anything. Sometimes I have to think something through quietly with pen and paper...

Also... I think this may be a little harder for women because of the moral imperative to be 'nice'...Just my opinion.

I have had 25 years of success by sticking to Sarno... it's about Rage! Look for the rage that should be there that isn't... the process is what banishes the symptoms. And that's why I ended up on Sarno's doorstep.. I didn't want to discover nuances and complexities... I wanted the pain to go away, and it has

mbo likes this.
  9. Syl

Syl Peer Supporter

Hey there! I believe each of us finds our own method, as it were, to deal with rage. What works for you or me may not work for another person and so on--each of us tackles the process in whatever way feels right for us.

Thank you for sharing how you work through the method. I have a huge imagination and I make up scenarios in my head in order to express the rage or whatever emotion comes up.

The bit I said about doing something illegal, like blowing up a building, that was my imagination talking. I don't wish to scare people into thinking I'm going to blow up stuff for real. In fact, I hope I didn't scare off @Cactusflower I thought about this after I pressed the "enter" button, and I was going to write back to clarify that I'm not a violent person, at least not in real life. When I feel rage/anger I usually journal about my emotions or I throw cushions across the room or stuff like that, and then I put on a Dirty Harry movie and really let it rip. I tend to live vicariously through "my friends" who reside in the film world. Yay! dancea