1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Skin issues due to TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jawarrior1, Nov 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Jawarrior1

Jawarrior1 Peer Supporter

Hey guys.

So, for the past 11 years I have been suffering from severe acute itching every time I shower, sweat or get stuck in the rain.

I saw a few dermatologists years and years ago and both said its likely due to an emotional disturbance and that they do not treat those conditions.

I learned about TMS about 3 years ago, after those appointments.

I also listened to someone who said their itchy skin was TMS and now I am hoping those dermatologists were right and it is in fact TMS.

Are there any doctors in Texas, that y'all know or can find for TMS skin issues?

By journaling I recovered from back pain, shoulder pain, TMJ, plantar fasciitis, tennis elbow and more.

But I haven't quite cracked the code on my itchy skin on water contact.

Tips, resources or doctors y'all recommend?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Jawarrior1

4. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi @Jawarrior1 ,
    It's awesome that you were able to recover from all sorts of ailments through journaling! How about using the journaling--and maybe finding and adding in new practices/new tools--to address this one set of skin symptoms that lingers? And, that does sound really rough--having these issues for 11 years and for so much of the time.
    It seems like these continuing symptoms have a stronger pull on you, and you might need to do some additional work (beyond journaling that worked on earlier symptoms) to let go of them.

I don't think you're going to find a TMS doctor that works on particular symptoms. That doesn't seem to make sense because 'the treatment' is not symptom specific, as you've shown yourself when you confronted everything from back pain to TMJ to tennis elbow with the same journaling work. Working through TMS symptoms is the same, wherever our brain tosses us a distraction/symptom (whether it's back pain, or digestive issues, or inflammation, or itchy skin, or whatever).

It is refreshing to hear that two dermatologists made the mind/body link with your symptoms.
    Be well--you'll get through this, like you do with those past issues!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

100% on the nose.
    Really now, @Jawarrior1, what else do you need from a doctor? We know you know the answer ;)

6. Jawarrior1

So if it truly is TMS, it should go away with journaling and belief?

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe, or maybe this old symptom will take more time. You've got a lot of years of learned behavior and expectations to unlearn, and it makes sense that when your more recent pain symptoms pushed you into crisis, this old symptom was far down on your list of concerns.

Perhaps look into Alan's recent book, The Way Out, and related program, Pain Reprocessing Therapy.

Or yes, go back to the list exercises from the SEP and examine what was going on in your life 11 years ago. Don't forget to recognize the growing existential garbage dump that seems to be the 21st century so far. It began in economic crisis, soon to be followed by 9/11, and as far as I'm concerned has mostly just gone downhill ever since, especially since about 2010 or so. It's essential to recognize the effect this has on our mental health.

I guess one recommendation might be to not take this symptom too seriously. Go ahead and label it "almost assuredly TMS from early on" and the next time it occurs, try being mindful of your inner dialogue and your tension and see what you can do with those. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

To paraphrase Nicole Sachs, we don't have to give our lives over to chronic pain, but we also have to recognize and accept that simply being human means that there will still be pain.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  8. Jawarrior1

Thank you! Very kind words. I will be giving this some thought.